Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko on Friday, December 13, responded after The Nairobian alleged that he was in the company of University of Nairobi student leader, Ann Mwangi Mvurya, during his arrest.
The publication claimed that the governor and Ms Mvurya were taken to the Voi Railways Police Station before he was airlifted to Nairobi.
"I don't know her name, but she was shy and appeared pregnant," one of the officers who talked to the publication alleged.
Further, the newspaper reported that Mvurya kept her face covered the whole time.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Nairobi County Communications Director, Jacob Elkana, termed the story as a fabrication.
"Those are cooked, malicious and purely lies. Journalists should verify some facts before going to press. The governor was arrested alone as you can see in the viral video that has been doing rounds on social media. We must differentiate reality and lies," Elkana stated.
The Nairobian further reported that a man who has only been identified as Jared warned the authors against publishing the story.
"I'm acting on the instructions of my client, Anne Mvurya. You can publish anything about her leadership, but do not publish anything to do with Mike Sonko.
"I am her lawyer and I also have dealings with Nairobi County Government and if you publish this, we will pursue you personally," he allegedly told the publication.
Attempts by Kenyans.co.ke to reach Mvurya for a response were futile at the time of publishing.
- out of the box1 October 2020 - 4:42 pm
- latest report1 October 2020 - 3:30 pm
- raid1 October 2020 - 3:50 pm
- Outcry1 October 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Power play1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- facts1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- Listen Up1 October 2020 - 1:57 pm
- New Directives1 October 2020 - 4:18 pm
- destroyed1 October 2020 - 1:39 pm
- god's plan1 October 2020 - 12:37 pm
- making a living1 October 2020 - 12:27 pm
- Nerve-wracking1 October 2020 - 12:27 pm