A bus travelling along the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway burst into flames on Friday, January 3, with passengers onboard.
The incident is reported to have occurred in Gilgil at 3 am. The over 50 passengers on board escaped unhurt.
Confirming the incident, Gilgil Sub-county Police Commander Emmanuel Opuru suggested that a mechanical problem could have caused the fire.
"No one was injured during the incident but unfortunately, the majority of the passengers lost all their luggage to the fire," he was quoted by The Standard.
Quick action by the police enabled the timely evacuation of passengers from the bus.
A passenger who was on board, Edna Nafula recalled that she had a tyre burst before the fire started.
"The driver parked the bus by the roadside to change the tyre but there was smoke from the engine and in minutes, a fire erupted completely burning our luggage," she narrated.
The bus was identified to belong to Greenline Services. Earlier in February 2019, NTSA suspended the operators’ licence after the fatal accident at Kamara area on the Nakuru-Eldoret highway.
The NTSA Director-General highlighted that the company had been suspended due to the continuous traffic violations.accident fatal fire fire.
- next step16 August 2022 - 3:49 pm
- 5th Rejection16 August 2022 - 3:41 pm
- IEBC Blunder16 August 2022 - 3:15 pm
- Details16 August 2022 - 4:11 pm
- statement16 August 2022 - 2:25 pm
- Procedure16 August 2022 - 2:17 pm
- Act Now16 August 2022 - 1:26 pm
- Touched16 August 2022 - 1:08 pm
- Officially16 August 2022 - 12:05 pm
- take note16 August 2022 - 12:25 pm
- Order16 August 2022 - 11:54 am
- Presidential effect16 August 2022 - 12:47 pm