Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho on Friday, January 17 renewed contracts of four members of the County Executive Committee in accordance with the County Governments Act 2012.
This is a first step in appointing a new Cabinet after the two-year contracts of the officeholders expired on November 12, 2019.
Taking to social media, Joho informed that he had renewed the contracts of Mariam Mbaruk (Finance and Economic Planning), and Godfrey Nyongesa Nato (Environment, Waste Management and Energy).
Hazel Chemutai Koitaba was reappointed to the Health Services docket while Taufiq Balala was maintained in Water, Sanitation and Natural Resources Department.
"The rest of the appointments will follow in due course," Joho stated.
Reports indicated that the ministries were left under the stewardship of chief officers following the departure of the executive committee. However, their contracts are set to expire on January 31, 2020.
On Monday, January 14, a human rights activist group threatened to take Joho to court over the absence of a Cabinet in Mombasa. The activists stated that the lack of an administration affected the delivery of services to members of the public.
The commission penned a letter to Joho, issuing an ultimatum of 14 days, else he would face legal action.
On November 27, The Standard reported that Nominated MCA and Mombasa ODM Chairman Mohammed Khatimy defended the governor, arguing that he needed adequate time to ensure the appointment of competent staff.
"Mombasa residents should give the governor time because he is doing his best to come up with the best team," Khatimy defended.
He reiterated that Joho was not out to rush and appoint a Cabinet that would not invite criticism.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm