Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho on Friday, January 17 renewed contracts of four members of the County Executive Committee in accordance with the County Governments Act 2012.
This is a first step in appointing a new Cabinet after the two-year contracts of the officeholders expired on November 12, 2019.
Taking to social media, Joho informed that he had renewed the contracts of Mariam Mbaruk (Finance and Economic Planning), and Godfrey Nyongesa Nato (Environment, Waste Management and Energy).
Hazel Chemutai Koitaba was reappointed to the Health Services docket while Taufiq Balala was maintained in Water, Sanitation and Natural Resources Department.
"The rest of the appointments will follow in due course," Joho stated.
Reports indicated that the ministries were left under the stewardship of chief officers following the departure of the executive committee. However, their contracts are set to expire on January 31, 2020.
On Monday, January 14, a human rights activist group threatened to take Joho to court over the absence of a Cabinet in Mombasa. The activists stated that the lack of an administration affected the delivery of services to members of the public.
The commission penned a letter to Joho, issuing an ultimatum of 14 days, else he would face legal action.
On November 27, The Standard reported that Nominated MCA and Mombasa ODM Chairman Mohammed Khatimy defended the governor, arguing that he needed adequate time to ensure the appointment of competent staff.
"Mombasa residents should give the governor time because he is doing his best to come up with the best team," Khatimy defended.
He reiterated that Joho was not out to rush and appoint a Cabinet that would not invite criticism.
- weird26 September 2020 - 3:32 pm
- Kicked Out26 September 2020 - 3:35 pm
- caution26 September 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Another promise26 September 2020 - 2:00 pm
- here's why26 September 2020 - 2:15 pm
- sporty26 September 2020 - 12:49 pm
- angered26 September 2020 - 12:25 pm
- Alert26 September 2020 - 12:21 pm
- Hillarious26 September 2020 - 12:08 pm
- puzzling26 September 2020 - 11:12 am
- go away26 September 2020 - 11:31 am
- Tragic26 September 2020 - 9:46 am