Justice Mumbi Ngugi on Tuesday, January 21, recused herself from a case filed by embattled Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko.
The judge was part of a bench that was handling a case challenging orders barring him from accessing his office.
It is still not clear why she resorted to the move.
In mid-December 2019, the governor had moved the High Court seeking to have orders restraining three judges from hearing his ongoing anti-corruption case alongside his pursuit to access City Hall offices.
Sonko was seeking Ngugi, alongside two other judges, John Onyiego and Ngenye Macharia to recuse themselves from hearing his Ksh357 million corruption case.
The governor filed the application citing that the judges are not free from bias in handling his corruption case that was expected to resume in January 29, 2020.
Governor Sonko was arrested on December 6 at Voi, Mombasa county after the director of public prosecutions issued a warrant of arrest on him.
The DPP indicated that Sonko was fully accountable for the loss of Ksh357 million shillings that belonged to Nairobi county.
The development comes just hours after Coast Police boss Rashid Yakub filed an application to drop assault case against Sonko at the Voi Law Court.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Nairobi County Director of Communications Jacob Elkana confirmed the development disclosing that the prosecution cited that the complainant was no longer interested in pursuing the matter.
Senior Resident Magistrate Fredrick Nyakundi is set to make the ruling on the matter on Wednesday, January 22, at 9 a.m. at Voi Law Courts.
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm