Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko was on Tuesday, January 21, overwhelmed with emotions while in a Voi court after learning that the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions had tabled an application to withdraw the assault charges against him.
Captured on a video in Kenyans.co.ke's possession, Sonko is seen, while following court proceedings, trying to fight back tears.
He is later seen wiping the tears while saying a prayer alongside his supporters outside the Voi Law Courts.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Nairobi County Director of Communications Jacob Elkanah admitted that his boss broke into tears of joy after the unprecedented development.
"Sonko was attending the Voi Court. They were tears of joy and he thanked God in a big way," Elkana stated.
Senior Resident Magistrate Fredrick Nyakundi closed the assault case on the morning of Wednesday, January 22, ending one of the legal battles the first-time Nairobi governor is facing.
Explaining his decision to withdraw the charges in an interview with People Daily, Coast Regional Police Commander, Rashid Yakub, disclosed that his 'conscience had directed him to forgive and forget.'
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, DPP Noordin Haji stated that he was more interested in handling the governor's corruption case and that the assault case was being handled by his juniors.
"I am not in Nairobi right now. I am majorly concerned with Sonko's corruption case. When it comes to corruption, we shall deal with Sonko squarely," stated Haji.
In a charge sheet dated Monday, December 9, 2019, Sonko was charged for assaulting a police officer who was in the line of duty.
Sonko is also facing charges related to the misappropriation of Ksh357 million from the county's public coffers, charges that saw him barred from accessing his office.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm