A family in Naivasha County is mourning the death of a four-year-old who was run over by a school bus on Monday, February 17.
The girl is said to have alighted from the bus when the driver reversed the vehicle and crushed the little girl along the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway near Kayole Estate.
"The teacher had just assisted the girl alight from the bus when she ran behind it. The driver reversed the vehicle and ran over the girl," Simon Wambugu, a witness told The Standard.A section of the Naivasha Sub-County HospitalThe Standard
The child was rushed to Naivasha Sub-county Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
Naivasha Police Division Commander Samuel Waweru stated that investigations are underway.
In addition, he told journalists that the school bus had been towed for inspection.
The incident comes barely two months after a seven-year-old child was hit by a police Toyota Land Cruiser in Kiserian, Kajiado County.
Residents in the area took to the streets to demonstrate and pile pressure on the police to investigate the driver of the vehicle.
The area is reported to have been in a state of unrest as residents lit bonfires and blocked the road in protest.
The police vehicle is said to have run into the boy at around 1 p.m. on Kiserian-Isinya Road.
According to the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA), the number of road crash victims increased by 13.8% in 2020 compared to the same time in 2019.
"By February 11, 2020, 387 Kenyans had lost their lives compared to 340 who died by the same date in 2019," read an excerpt by a press release from the authority.
In addition, NTSA stated that pedestrians were still the most vulnerable group with 154 of them having died compared to 134 who perished last year.
- ImageTragic30 March 2020 - 8:52 pm
- Imagetrue or false?30 March 2020 - 7:59 pm
- Imagerestrain30 March 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageoblivious30 March 2020 - 7:27 pm
- Imagegoodies30 March 2020 - 7:29 pm
- Imagetimely30 March 2020 - 6:46 pm
- Imagehistoric30 March 2020 - 5:37 pm
- Imageout of stock?30 March 2020 - 5:00 pm
- Imagefed-up30 March 2020 - 4:25 pm
- ImageRed-line30 March 2020 - 4:32 pm
- ImageSurge30 March 2020 - 3:21 pm
- Imagethe law won30 March 2020 - 4:11 pm