Driver in Fake Homabay Burial Says He Has Not Received Treatment [VIDEO]

  • Police set up roadblocks isolating the Nairobi Metropolitan Area on April 7, 2020.
    Police set up roadblocks isolating the Nairobi Metropolitan Area on April 7, 2020.
    Daily Nation
  • On Saturday, April 21, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe informed Kenyans that a truck driver who ferried passengers from Nairobi to Homa Bay with an empty coffin to dupe police officers on roadblocks had tested positive for Covid-19.

    The driver, only known as Kelvin has since disputed the assertion in a 4 minute 54 seconds video he recorded while in isolation.

    In the video, he explained that he has been in isolation for five days but insisted that he does not have any of the symptoms associated with Covid-19.

    Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe speaking during a presser outside Kenyatta National Hospital, April 2020.
    Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe speaking during a presser outside Kenyatta National Hospital, April 2020.
    File

    "They took my samples at around 2 pm for testing. At night when everyone was asleep, I overheard the nurses asking who Kelvin was. Hence, I opened the door and told them I was the one.

    "They asked if I was the driver and I told them I was. They told me that they had been instructed to take me to isolation because I had tested positive for Covid-19," he narrated.

    For the five days Kelvin has been under isolation, he narrated that he had not received any medication.

    "Since they brought me to Malela, I have not received any medication yet they say I have tested positive for Covid-19, seriously, this is a dangerous disease, why don't they treat me?" he questioned. 

    Additionally, he stated that there was a burial and that relevant authorities should conduct investigations to ascertain.

    Kelvin called upon Health CS Mutahi Kagwe and the County Government of Homa Bay to look further into the matter.

    "I was so shocked when Health CS Mutahi Kagwe announced that I had tested positive for Covid-19," he stated.

    In his briefing on Saturday, April 18, Kagwe claimed that he got information on the case from Homa Bay Governor Cyprian Awiti as he called on Kenyans to avoid coming up with crafty ways to avoid compliance with government directives.

    "The governor of Homa Bay informed me of a group of people who travelled from Nairobi in a private vehicle pretending that they were attending a funeral, fully equipped with an empty coffin to illustrate that they were mourners.

    "Those people travelled all the way from Nairobi to Homa Bay during this period when we have stopped movement. Thanks to the Homa Bay administration, somebody got suspicious, opened the coffin found and found out that it was empty.

    "This person has now taken the disease to Homa Bay where we have now tested the first positive case in Homa Bay because of very selfish reasons," Kagwe had stated on Saturday, April 18.