- Daily Nation
Property of unknown value has been damaged after a Pangani Shopping Centre was engulfed in a huge fire on the night of Friday, May 15, 2020.
Videos seen by Kenyans.co.ke showed area residents rushing to the scene trying to salvage property as well as prevent the fire from spreading to other buildings.
The fire is said to have broken out at around 8 p.m at one of the makeshift kiosks in the shopping centre which is opposite Pangani Heights.
The fire then spread to neighbouring shops, and efforts by firefighters from the Nairobi City County to put out the fire are underway.
The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained, however, no casualties have been reported as at the time of reporting.
Police officers who had responded to the scene have been forced to evacuate people as well as maintain order as residents flocked the scene.
This is specifically because the incident happened way past the curfew time.
This comes after another fire on March 22, 2020, broke out in the region next to Loresho Chief's Camp razing down houses, leaving traders in Kangemi counting loses.
A source at the scene of the fire told Kenyans.co.ke that the outbreak had been caused by a gas explosion.
"A gas cylinder exploded and a few houses and shops went up in flames. One woman was reportedly burnt inside her house," stated the source who sought anonymity
The fire was quenched by firefighters who responded to the scene.Kangemi residents witness as fire razes down shops and houses in the market next to Loresho Chiefs Camp on the night of Sunday, March 22.
- Special aide15 April 2021 - 11:44 am
- Urban farmers15 April 2021 - 11:25 am
- greener pastures15 April 2021 - 11:39 am
- unique15 April 2021 - 10:53 am
- Beware15 April 2021 - 9:27 am
- cache of weapons15 April 2021 - 8:32 am
- Relief15 April 2021 - 8:25 am
- Implicated15 April 2021 - 7:45 am
- hope15 April 2021 - 7:23 am
- dangerous14 April 2021 - 7:33 pm
- this is why14 April 2021 - 7:24 pm
- Scaling Heights14 April 2021 - 7:44 pm