The harsh effects of the Covid-19 pandemic continue to be felt in the education sector as 124 private schools face closure over lack of funds.
Precious Gift Komarock, Nairobi is one such school as it had their property put up for auction including desks, computers and school buses.
At least 124 schools have written to the Kenya Private Schools Association KPSA about imminent closure and have asked learners to look for alternatives.Students during a lesson at Kibra Primary School. Dr Stella Bosire studied at the school before she was expelled in Class Five.File
KPSA Chairman Peter Ndoro warned that the situation could get worse and the effects could trickle down to public schools.
"We have data of 124 schools that have 43,000 students that have said they cannot open in January because they cannot pay rent and meet operational costs.
"The 43,000 students will join public schools and that will mean the numbers in public schools will rise considerably and schools will struggle to achieve social distancing," he warned.
The situation is being worsened by banks not issuing loans to private schools due to the uncertainty of private schools during the pandemic.
Light Academy in Karen, Nairobi adapted to the pandemic as it resorted to charging online classes in order to cater for teachers' salaries.
"As you know the income is parents paying school fees, when they pay we cater for our teaching and non-teaching staff," explained the headteacher.
Ministry of Education announced the nullification of the 2020 school calender with schools expected to reopen in January 2021.Education CS George Magoha addresses the media at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Education (KICD), Nairobi on Friday May 29, 2020.
- Mystery28 September 2020 - 7:53 am
- Be Warned28 September 2020 - 7:12 am
- friends turned foes27 September 2020 - 8:15 pm
- Ng'eno Again27 September 2020 - 7:50 pm
- Covid who?27 September 2020 - 6:55 pm
- road carnage27 September 2020 - 6:36 pm
- Stance27 September 2020 - 5:20 pm
- out and about27 September 2020 - 5:07 pm
- Surge27 September 2020 - 3:59 pm
- Milestones27 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Expert Advice27 September 2020 - 2:43 pm
- Ranked27 September 2020 - 2:30 pm