Traders at Marikiti market are counting huge losses after a fire destroyed their wares on Friday, August 7.
The fire which started in the wee hours of the morning occurred in the backdrop of a land ownership dispute with Kenya Railways.
Traders lost their wares, which mainly included stored agricultural products, as many suggested the fire was caused by arson.
Among the first leaders to respond to the fire was Starehe MP Charles Njagua who condemned the incident.
He stated that the traders were not notified to get a chance to salvage their goods.
"I will follow up on this matter through Parliament. We cannot become a nation where state corporations resort to criminal activities to clear land. We have laws. Failing to abide by them would lead to anarchy. Marikiti traders deserved notice and a chance to salvage their goods," he stated.
The legislator further stated that the Covid-19 pandemic had already depressed the economy and it was unfair to destroy the traders' stock.
"Covid-19 is real. Joblessness is a harsh reality in today’s Kenya and businesses are struggling to survive. Where will these traders get the funds to repay loans for their burned stock? I'll make sure that we hold the state corporation accountable," he added.Scenes from the fire incident at Marikiti market on August 7, 2020.
Earlier in the year, Kenya Railways (KR) moved to reclaim its land reserve for construction of the Nairobi mass transit railway.
Kenya Railways Managing Director Philip Mainga stated that the land reserve had been grabbed by politicians, churches and business, noting that demolition of illegal structures was under way.
“Persons who have settled on the railway reserve land within Nairobi and its environs must vacate to give way to implementation of the Nairobi Rail Masterplan,” he warned.Kenya Railways Managing director Philip MaingaDaily Nation
- bravo!23 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- turf wars23 September 2020 - 7:56 pm
- Baba Speaks23 September 2020 - 7:16 pm
- be warned23 September 2020 - 7:01 pm
- changes23 September 2020 - 6:44 pm
- road carnage23 September 2020 - 6:37 pm
- please23 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Pay Up23 September 2020 - 4:31 pm
- man of many firsts23 September 2020 - 4:57 pm
- disaster averted23 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Ruto's Reaction23 September 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Another one23 September 2020 - 3:28 pm