Nairobi County Assembly on Friday, August 14, elected former Makadara MP Benson Mutura as the speaker.
Mutura trounced five candidates to clinch the seat after he got 93 of the 123 votes from house members.
Other individuals who were eyeing the seat included; former student leader Allan Chacha, former Nairobi Assembly County Speaker Alex Magelo, Abdi Ali Abdi, former chief officer Odingo Odhiambo Washington, former MCA Mike Obonyo Guoro, and Kennedy Okeyo Ng’ondiFormer Makadara MP Benson Mutura
Alex ole Magelo, who was also a candidate, dropped out of the race to support Mutura.
The election took place on zoom, in line with social distancing as part of measures to combat the spread of Covid-19.
"I hereby declare Mr. Benson Mutura the new Nairobi County Assembly Speaker, having attained more than the required two-thirds majority votes," acting Speaker John Kamangu announced.
The election came after the resignation of Beatrice Elachi on Tuesday, August 11, over what she termed as continued wrangles, threats on her life and competing interests from forces outside City Hall.
On Thursday, August 13, Jubilee Party Secretary General Raphael Tuju announced that the party had endorsed Mutura for the position.
“We have zeroed in on Benard Mutura as the Jubilee candidate. The other candidates are free to contest but as Jubilee, Mutura is our candidate.
“As for the deputy speaker’s position, we will hold further consultations with the MCAs and President Uhuru Kenyatta and decide," Tuju added.Jubilee Party Secretary-General Raphael Tuju addresses journalists at Jubilee Headquarters, Thika Road in 2019File
- The Truth28 September 2020 - 8:55 am
- Mystery28 September 2020 - 7:53 am
- Be Warned28 September 2020 - 7:12 am
- friends turned foes27 September 2020 - 8:15 pm
- Ng'eno Again27 September 2020 - 7:50 pm
- Covid who?27 September 2020 - 6:55 pm
- road carnage27 September 2020 - 6:36 pm
- Stance27 September 2020 - 5:20 pm
- out and about27 September 2020 - 5:07 pm
- Surge27 September 2020 - 3:59 pm
- Milestones27 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Expert Advice27 September 2020 - 2:43 pm