Blessed Tugi, the son to comedian Timothy Kimani (Njugush) and Celestine Ndinda has bagged the YouTube Creator Award, popularly known as the Silver Plaque.
Tugi got the award after his channel surpassed the 100,000 mark.
The little man's Youtube page was set up by his parents on August 14, 2020 and has garnered millions of views since the first video was uploaded.From left: comedian Njugush, Tugi (middle) and Celestine Ndinda (right)
The child's take on everyday issues as well as comical interaction with his parents is one that resonates with many Kenyans.
The videos have garnered thousands of views so far, with each averaging around 60,000 views and the most viewed accumuating 200,000 views.
While the global Covid-19 pandemic disrupted most sectors in the economy, it brought with it opportunities especially for content creators.
Media personalities on mainstream media, some of whom were fired, found their footing online, building up large audiences with their online shows.
The increase in time people are spending at home is also undoubtedly a factor, evidenced worldwide by the surge in new users signing up for video streaming platforms such as Netflix and Hulu.
For children, YouTube developed YouTube Kids that provides a version of the service-oriented towards children, with curated selections of content, parental control features, and filtering of videos deemed inappropriate viewing for children aged under 13.
Some of the personalities that launched online shows during the Covid-19 pandemic included; Betty Kyallo, formerly of K24, Jeff Koinange of Citizen TV, Jalang'o formerly of Milele FM and Abel Mutua, an actor.Kenyan Actor Abel Mutua.YouTube
- Listen Up24 January 2021 - 7:17 pm
- gridlock24 January 2021 - 6:10 pm
- Surge24 January 2021 - 4:35 pm
- expensive24 January 2021 - 5:02 pm
- Unfortunate24 January 2021 - 4:29 pm
- investing24 January 2021 - 5:28 pm
- Worrying24 January 2021 - 4:13 pm
- Not This Time24 January 2021 - 2:25 pm
- well-paying24 January 2021 - 2:41 pm
- Chaos24 January 2021 - 2:19 pm
- On the Spot24 January 2021 - 12:35 pm
- New Direction24 January 2021 - 1:02 pm