An anti-stock theft unit police officer was on Thursday, December 31, killed in an ambush by bandits in Chemoe, Baringo North sub-county.
Reports indicated that he and other officers had gone to fetch firewood near the police camp before they were ambushed by bandits armed with AK 47 rifles.
The man in uniform tried to flee from the scene but was fatally shot in the back.Kenya Police officers pictured outside a police station.File
Two other officers suffered minor injuries and managed to return to the camp. The ambush comes months after the slain police officer escaped a near-death encounter.
He along with 5 other police officers survived after a police lorry ferrying 12 police officers was swept by floodwaters at River Kagir, Baringo County.
The officer however managed to hold onto a twig after being swept by the raging floodwaters for over 200 meters. The incident, unfortunately, claimed the lives of the other seven police officers.
The ambush by the bandits has caused residents to flee the area for fear of another attack.
Many residents also expressed concern over the safety of their children when schools resume on Monday, January 4.
The police camp had initially been set up in May 2012 to protect the residents from the continuous attacks by bandits.
Cases of insecurity have been on the rise in the North Rift region.
A recent case saw more than 2,000 residents in Turkana County flee due to constant attacks by bandits. Local leaders have urged the government to boost security in the region.A police officer pictured at a crime scene.Fileshabaab armed fatal death killed armed
- Busted26 November 2022 - 7:12 pm
- Kind gesture26 November 2022 - 7:31 pm
- Revealed26 November 2022 - 7:04 pm
- Tussle26 November 2022 - 6:46 pm
- Looming Danger26 November 2022 - 6:06 pm
- FREEDOM AT LAST26 November 2022 - 5:45 pm
- Boom26 November 2022 - 6:33 pm
- Duties26 November 2022 - 5:15 pm
- Battle ground26 November 2022 - 4:51 pm
- SPECTACLE26 November 2022 - 4:14 pm
- Close Call26 November 2022 - 3:58 pm
- Boycott26 November 2022 - 3:53 pm