Chesamisi Boys High school in Bungoma County has been closed indefinitely after students went on strike and destroyed property worth millions.
The strike was a culmination of earlier riots that marred the school in March 2020, a few weeks before learning was halted across the country over the Covid-19 pandemic.
A total of 50 students, most of them in Form 4 were suspended in March last year after they stormed out before the school closed and destroyed property. The students were demanding a fully sponsored entertainment program in the school among other demands.Chesamisi Boys High schoolFile
According to the principal, the students took matters into their own hands and began damaging school property in March last year, and therefore had to be suspended indefinitely - but then they reported to school on Monday, January 4.
This caused fresh unrest among other students leading at a riot on Saturday night, January 23.
Among the items destroyed include; security surveillance apparatus, classrooms, computer labs, 2 vehicles, and others.
Speaking to Citizen TV, one parent asked the teachers to be strict with the students in order to curb rising cases of indiscipline in schools.
In yet another case, 15 KCPE candidates at Kayuyu Primary School in Kiharu, Murang'a County, had to sign a Code of Good Conduct with the Education Ministry binding them to strict adherence to school rules.
This was informed by the rising cases of attacks on teachers orchestrated by students at the institution. The learners had their names forwarded to the Deputy Director of Education, Richard Ng'ang'a who subsequently summoned them alongside their parents.
The students signed the documents in front of their parents and the Ministry official.A file image of a teacher in a classroom
- New Frontier27 February 2021 - 6:30 pm
- Spike27 February 2021 - 5:29 pm
- unfortunate27 February 2021 - 5:06 pm
- Chairperson27 February 2021 - 4:06 pm
- Take Note27 February 2021 - 3:23 pm
- Withdrawal27 February 2021 - 3:00 pm
- Drainage27 February 2021 - 3:13 pm
- Easy as Pie27 February 2021 - 2:07 pm
- dangerous27 February 2021 - 1:54 pm
- Captured27 February 2021 - 1:40 pm
- Tragic27 February 2021 - 1:27 pm
- Heartmelting27 February 2021 - 1:05 pm