UPDATE: A five-year-old child is among passengers who escaped death following an accident that killed nine on Friday morning.
The child, who incurred minor injuries, is receiving treatment in hospital.
Nine people died on Friday morning, February 12, in a matatu accident involving a trailer. Eight are said to have died on the spot while one succumbed while being rushed to hospital.
The accident took place near St Marys hospital near Gilgil along the Nairobi Nakuru Highway at Soysambu area.
Two people survived the crash and were rushed to hospital where they are receiving treatment.Wreckage of a truck involved in an accident on Friday morning, February 12
Gilgil sub county commander John Onditi has made the confirmation. He stated that police are in the area facilitating the clearing of the wreckage.
According to a witness who spoke to the Standard, there were bodies littered all over the road while members of the public rallied to rescue those who were still trapped inside the wreck.
"The matatu has been reduced to a shell and bodies are lying all over," she told the publication.
The incident took place just days after a bus from Kithyoko Secondary School bus rolled along the Kithyoko-Masinga road as it was heading back to the school.
The bus, which had 41 students, slipped following heavy rains experienced the previous night.
Ten of the students in the bus sustained serious injuries. Fortunately, no one died.
According to an analysis by NTSA last year November, most accidents are attributed to human-related factors such as speeding, reckless driving, dangerous overtaking, drunk driving, drunk walking, drunk riding, failure to use helmets among others.Wreckage of a truck involved in an accident on Friday morning, February 12accident died child death crash killed drunk
- Made Different18 September 2021 - 6:55 pm
- CELEBRATORY18 September 2021 - 7:01 pm
- Head On18 September 2021 - 6:21 pm
- congratulations18 September 2021 - 4:01 pm
- Truth Bombs18 September 2021 - 3:55 pm
- Time Schedule18 September 2021 - 3:36 pm
- OPERATION18 September 2021 - 4:46 pm
- Sad incident18 September 2021 - 2:59 pm
- TITHING DIFFERENTLY18 September 2021 - 3:28 pm
- details18 September 2021 - 2:08 pm
- Posh living18 September 2021 - 1:24 pm
- Piece of advice18 September 2021 - 1:57 pm