The Kenya Wildlife Service(KWS) was ordered to pay the family of Josphat Karii Njeru over Ksh 4 million compensation fee after he was killed by a stray Elephant on May 1, 2017.
“This court entered judgement for the appellant at Ksh 5 million, less 20 per cent liability that reduced the figure by one million. The appellant is therefore awarded Ksh 4 million-plus special damages of Ksh 45,000,” read the judgement.
The decision was made by Justice Robert Kipkoech Limo sitting at the High Court in Chuka. The judge set aside a decision made earlier by the Senior Principal Magistrate’s Court in Marimati dismissing a suit by Jediel Muriithi Njeru, who is the legal representative of Karii’s family.An image of an elephant taken playing with soilK24 Digital
The case was dismissed on April 11, 2019, which forced Muriithi to file an appeal.
It was noted that KWS did not deny liability but gave excuses for not compensating the affected family.
Recently, the residents of Kangaita village in Kirinyaga County reported living in fear after a strange wild animal was said to be targeting the locals' reproductive system. The report was made on January 17, 2020, saying that the attacks had been going on for the previous two weeks.
In the last covered incident, a resident was admitted at Kerugoya Hospital following an attack one morning on his way to work.
Two of the people who came to his help are said to have also been attacked and sustained minor injuries. They were treated at the same hospital and later discharged.
The strange animal was said to be hiding along river banks in the area before pouncing on its victims.KWS officers during a parade
- unfortunate21 April 2021 - 10:07 am
- confusion21 April 2021 - 9:38 am
- New Projects21 April 2021 - 9:30 am
- Corridors of Power21 April 2021 - 9:24 am
- Under Siege21 April 2021 - 7:58 am
- Another One21 April 2021 - 7:16 am
- eyes on prize20 April 2021 - 8:04 pm
- jets out20 April 2021 - 7:48 pm
- new pairs of hands20 April 2021 - 6:50 pm
- Alliances20 April 2021 - 6:29 pm
- dissolve20 April 2021 - 5:22 pm
- On the Edge20 April 2021 - 4:48 pm