Dr Wenwa Akinyi Odinga who is ODM leader Raila Odinga's sister has been appointed to be a board member of the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI).
In a gazette notice released on May 21, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe selected Dr Akinyi to sit the board for a period of three years.
Also appointed are Prof Timothy Mwololo, Dr George Njoroge and Marstella Bahati Kahindi with the appointment taking effect from May 17, 2021.
Dr Akinyi is the daughter of the late Jaramogi's first wife Mary Ajuma who's also Raila's mother. She is a third born in her immediate family after her brothers Oburu, and Raila.Dr. Wenwa Akinyi Odinga (left) with Prof. Njenga
According to a 2015 Nation interview, Wenwa was the first Kenyan woman to obtain a doctorate degree in chemistry.
She is also a Trustee, Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Foundation and the Pan Africa Petroleum Limited.
Dr Akinyi has also worked as a senior assistant secretary for the Commission for University Education and a chief chemist at the Pyrethrum Board of Kenya.
She has served as a senior lecturer at the University of Nairobi for over 13 years.
Wenwa and her sister Beryl Odinga, schooled with two of Uhuru's sisters, Kristina Pratt and Jenny Wamboi at The Kenya High School.
KEMRI has had changes in its management with the appointment of Prof. Sam Kariuki as the Acting DG in March 2021.
Prof. Kariuki replaced Prof Kombe who had served the institute for over 30 years and had been the DG for the last 3 years.
KEMRI is a state corporation established through the Science and Technology (Amendment) Act of 1979. The Institute currently ranks as one of the leading Centres of excellence in health research both in Africa as well as globally.Kenya Medical Research Institute (Kemri) located in Nairobi.
- NEXT STEP16 January 2022 - 6:56 pm
- setback16 January 2022 - 7:11 pm
- Looming Crisis16 January 2022 - 5:49 pm
- Pandemonium16 January 2022 - 4:17 pm
- top secret16 January 2022 - 4:36 pm
- groundbreaking16 January 2022 - 4:36 pm
- TIPS16 January 2022 - 4:12 pm
- Sky is the Limit16 January 2022 - 2:39 pm
- reality check16 January 2022 - 3:02 pm
- appreciation16 January 2022 - 1:07 pm
- Listen Up16 January 2022 - 12:22 pm
- Warning16 January 2022 - 12:12 pm