President Uhuru Kenyatta and ODM leader Raila Odinga met Nyanza MPs at State House, Nairobi, on Friday morning, May 28.
Uhuru is expected to lead the nation in celebrating Madaraka Day at Jomo Kenyatta Stadium in Kisumu, on June 1.
In the meeting with Nyanza MPs, the President assured the lawmakers that he will deliver on projects underway in the region and also unite the country.
"My brother (Raila Odinga) and I are focused on leaving a legacy where young people have steady jobs, are able to access basics needs and a country where all citizens are proud to be Kenyans,” Uhuru stated at the meeting.President Uhuru Kenyatta addresses Nyanza MPs at State House on Friday, May 28, 2021PSCU
Speaking to the media at State House, Seme MP James Nyikal stated that the projects included the construction of the Koru-Soin multi-purpose dam and the multi-million Mamboleo-Muhoroni road.
Others are the Lake Victoria Ring Road which connects Busia, Siaya, Kisumu, Homa Bay and Migori counties.
"Basically, we concentrated on development issues. Some of the projects commenced, some are at the procurement stage.
"The issue of financing took centre stage. In summary, we discussed matters of development. Uhuru and Raila will speak on the other aspects during the Madaraka Day celebrations," the MP stated.
Nyikal, who spoke on behalf of Nyanza lawmakers, added that the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) was also discussed at the meeting, with Uhuru and Raila assuring them that the project was on course despite the High Court declaring it null and void.
Health CS Mutahi Kagwe reiterated the same, adding that the union between the President and his handshake partner was intact.
"On matters of health, we should be aware that the celebrations will be observed under strict measures. I am calling on everyone to wash hands, sanitise, wear masks and maintain social distance.
"The safety of our people is paramount. We should not celebrate to the cost of losing our people. We don't want to cause any panic but emphasise the need to adhere to the measures stipulated," Kagwe urged, stating that the ministry was keeping an eye on the deadly Indian variant reported in the country.President Uhuru Kenyatta, ODM leader Raila Odinga and Nyanza MPs pose for a group photo at State House on Friday, May 28, 2021, ahead of the Kisumu tourPSCU
President Uhuru Kenyatta's Itinerary During His 5-Day Tour of Nyanza
The following considerations and projects have been earmarked for either launch or supervision
1. Nakuru –Kisumu Meter Gauge Railway Line.
2. Kisumu Inland Container Depot –Kibos.
3. Kisumu Passenger Train Terminus.
4. Launch of Kisumu-Butere line.
5. Ground break the Kshs25 billion Koru Soin dam.
6. Ground break the construction of Special Economic Zone (SEZ) at Miwani.
7. Launch the refurbished Kisumu Port and MV Uhuru; alongside a newly constructed ship.
8. Shipyard commissioning.
9. Launch four feeder ports of Asembo Bay, Kendu Bay, Homabay and Sio Port.
10. Commission the Kshs476 million Marine School.
11. Ground break the Mamboleo Muhoroni Kipsitet road.
12. Commission the Kshs4.2 billion Lake Basin Mall project.
13. The Ksh600 million Uhuru Business Park and Market Complex.
14. Inspection of works Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Sports Grounds.
15. The groundbreaking for the construction of the East Africa Community (EAC) Lake Victoria Basin Commission Headquarters in Kisumu at a cost of Ksh145 million.
16. Commission ADB funded Sirari Corridor Ahero –Kisii road done at a cost of Kshs9.5 billion.
17. Commission the Kshs2.2 billion Siaya -Bondo Water and Sanitation project.
18. Launch the Kshs227 million last mile connectivity project in Siaya.
19. Commission the Kshs1 billion Kodiaga - Nyangweso - Wagai - Onyinyore / Akala road.
20. Commission Kshs3 billion Isebania-Ikerege-Kehancha-Ntimaru-Gwitembe-Ang’ata-Lolgorian Road.
21. Approve Kshs350 million for South Nyanza Sugar Company.
22. Grant a Charter to Tom Mboya University College as well as commission construction of the Administration and Tuition block project.
23. Ground breaking of the Kshs2.5 billion Mbita -Sindo -Kiabuya -Karungu road.
24. Inspection of the dredging of Mbita causeway.
- on the run10 August 2022 - 8:40 am
- Ballot 202210 August 2022 - 7:47 am
- Historic10 August 2022 - 7:14 am
- Ballot 202210 August 2022 - 6:17 am
- Wanted Man9 August 2022 - 9:30 pm
- Check Results9 August 2022 - 9:04 pm
- Released9 August 2022 - 9:28 pm
- His Choice9 August 2022 - 7:45 pm
- Explained9 August 2022 - 7:39 pm
- Voter Apathy9 August 2022 - 6:09 pm
- Spotted9 August 2022 - 6:26 pm
- fury9 August 2022 - 5:58 pm