Multimedia University was on Wednesday, September 15, closed indefinitely after students went on the rampage.
A memo seen by Kenyans.co.ke indicated that students became unruly and attempted to interfere with motorists along Magadi Road, leading to the decision by the University management.
Students were asked to clear the school premises by 6pm.Multimedia students demonstrate along Magadi road in 2019
"By a copy of this memo, all affected students must clear from the university compound immediately but not later than 6 pm today 15th September 2021," reads an excerpt of the memo.
The University's staff members had gone on a strike on Monday, September 13, which led to the paralysing of learning activities and general operations of the University.
In their demand letter, the lecturers stated that they wanted the implementation of the 2017-2021 collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
The lecturers argued that it had clocked one year since they started asking about the CBA salaries.
"When the money is repaid, normal activities will continue but until then, there will be no work in the offices, no exams and we shall paralyse every system in this institution," one of the staff members said.
The staff blamed the management for postponing meetings that had been scheduled to discuss the matter at hand.
The strike is a being blow considering learning that was lost last year when all educational institutions closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
On August 30, 2021, Universities Academic Staff Union Secretary-General Constantine Wasonga disclosed that there would be a strike in all 35 universities that have not complied with a court directive to pay money owed to lecturers.Students demonstrate at Multimedia University in 2016
- New Beginnings28 September 2021 - 7:52 pm
- Solving Case28 September 2021 - 7:40 pm
- Wealth28 September 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Blow28 September 2021 - 7:26 pm
- Merger28 September 2021 - 7:21 pm
- Step In28 September 2021 - 6:50 pm
- WIN FOR KENYA28 September 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Barred28 September 2021 - 6:33 pm
- Inaccessible28 September 2021 - 6:55 pm
- sad28 September 2021 - 5:24 pm
- Climbing the Mountain28 September 2021 - 5:39 pm
- Heated28 September 2021 - 3:59 pm