Kidnapped Businessman Resurfaces After 5 Months

  • Businessman Taimur Kariuki Hussein was Arrested on June 11.
    Businessman Taimur Kariuki Hussein was Arrested on June 11.
  • A Lamu businessman who went missing on June 28, 2021, has resurfaced, according to his family.

    On Saturday, November 27, Taimur Kariuki Hussein resurfaced from his captors and returned back home to Watamu, Kwale County.

    His sister confirmed the reports via her social media account noting that Hussein called their mother on Saturday morning to inform her that he had been released.

    The sister announced that although Hussein had been released he was very traumatized from the experience but the family was glad to have their son back.

    Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit (ATPU) officers

    Fauziya Hussein stated that her 39-year-old brother had arrived home safely and was resting. She added that when Hussein wakes up, the family will follow up with him to know where he was all this time since they had initially believed that he was taken in for questioning by the ATPU.

    "Taimur is back! At around 6am this morning, my brother called my mum and told her he was on his way back to Watamu," Fauziya stated.

    "My brother is home. Traumatized but safe. He is resting. Now we debrief. Thank you to everyone who's been through this with us. God is so so good."

    Hussein, the second-born in a family of three, was allegedly picked up by ATPU officers in Lamu on June 11, 2021, and his family was told by security agents that he had been on police radar.

    He appeared at the Kahawa Law Courts on that fateful day before he was released in the absence of his family. The family claimed that he was assaulted by the ATPU officers who picked him for questioning.

    The family told journalists that Taimur had a broken finger and stitches on his head, his hand was in a sling and he was limping when he was brought to court.

    At the Lamu Law Courts, Taimur was charged but the charges were dropped on June 18, but the ATPU officers requested that Taimur be transferred to Nairobi for further investigations.

    The last time he was seen was after being released by Kahawa Law Courts on June 28 before disappearing again.

    A file image of Lamu Police Station
    A file image of Lamu Police Station
    Daily Nation