Six people died on Wednesday night, November 23, when a matatu collided with a tractor without headlights on the Eldoret-Turbo Road.
Reports indicated that the 14-seater matatu was en route to Kitale from Nairobi when the accident occurred.
In addition, the matatu was rammed by a parastatal vehicle behind it.
Several passengers were injured as a result and were rushed to Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH).An undated road sign displaying an accident signFile
According to Uasin Gishu police commander Ayub Gitonga, the drivers of both the matatu and the parastatal were among those who died on the spot.
The wreckage of the vehicles was towed to the nearby Yamumbi police station.
According to a witness, the tractor driver attempted to join the highway at a time when the matatu was at high speed.
The accident sheds light on the lurking danger on Kenyan roads, especially at a time when the festivities are fast-approaching.
According to the latest data from the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA), 1413 pedestrians and 1,046 motorists succumbed to accidents by October 2022.
This was followed by pillion passengers (363), drivers (356) and pedal cyclists (53).
This totalled to over 4,000 lives lost on the road. According to NTSA board chairperson Agnes Odhiambo, Kenyans ought to adhere to the traffic rules to avoid such incidences.
"Unfortunately, these numbers will keep increasing if we do not adopt safe road user behaviour and adhere to basic safety practices, including the use of safety belts, and pedestrian paths, among others,” she stated.File image of Traffic police inspecting a PSV matatuFileaccident died
- Nabbed3 December 2022 - 8:34 am
- Tragic3 December 2022 - 7:47 am
- changes3 December 2022 - 8:15 am
- Take Note3 December 2022 - 7:22 am
- Statesman3 December 2022 - 7:04 am
- EXPLAINED2 December 2022 - 8:02 pm
- Changes2 December 2022 - 6:34 pm
- Fairy Tale2 December 2022 - 7:40 pm
- Quit2 December 2022 - 6:20 pm
- Accolades2 December 2022 - 7:53 pm
- Staff purge2 December 2022 - 6:04 pm
- delight2 December 2022 - 5:27 pm