The National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) in 2018 rolled out the smart driving license which replaced the infamous maroon ones.
NTSA introduced new features in the licenses such as a smart chip, details of the driver's blood group, and license number among others.
The smart licenses were issued for a period of three years. However, many motorists wondered about the next step to be undertaken upon expiry.
Kenyans.co.ke reached out to NTSA to find out the procedure required when renewing the smart licence and compiled the process as outlined below;Photo collage between police officers controlling traffic flow and an error captured on the NTSA portal on Friday, December 2, 2022.Ma3Route
How to Renew
1. Visit the NTSA website - www(dot)ntsa(dot)go(dot)ke - and select the driving licensing option.
2. Log into the Transport Integrated Management System (TIMS) by keying in details such as ID number and password.
3. Select the driving license section and click on the renewal of driving license option.
4. Upon confirming various personal details, one is required to make payment for the renewal of the licence. According to NTSA, renewal of the three-year licence costs Ksh3050.
5. Upon successfully making the payment, one is then required to visit any preferred Huduma Centre or NTSA offices near them for their biometrics and picture to be taken and updated.
NTSA estimates that one should get their renewed licence within five working days of submitting their application.
The smart licences are also fitted with a chip, much like ATM cards that hold the drivers’ information and a points system that is used to encourage discipline among motorists.
Each card comes with 100 points that are deducted every time the holder commits any traffic offence.
Upon reaching the threshold of 40 points, the license can automatically be cancelled.Thousands of uncollected Driving licenses posted by NTSA on Friday, March 4, 2022NTSA
- Tough times5 February 2023 - 8:38 pm
- Unbothered5 February 2023 - 7:38 pm
- Unlawful5 February 2023 - 6:31 pm
- Victory5 February 2023 - 7:56 pm
- Be Careful5 February 2023 - 7:19 pm
- Journey5 February 2023 - 6:51 pm
- CREDITS5 February 2023 - 5:55 pm
- Lanes5 February 2023 - 3:41 pm
- Accident5 February 2023 - 4:41 pm
- take note5 February 2023 - 3:30 pm
- Thirsty Days Ahead5 February 2023 - 4:17 pm
- Strategy5 February 2023 - 3:01 pm