Mother Recounts Daughter's Last Phone Call Before Falling From Storey Building

A collage of before and after Joy Aoko fell from a building in Albania in 2022
A collage of before and after Joy Aoko fell from a building in Albania in 2022

While the rest of the country was anxiously waiting for the presidential results of the August 2022 General Election, Joy Aoko's mother was on edge waiting for any news of the whereabouts of her daughter in Albania.

Aoko, 22, went to Albania in February 2022 in search of green pastures where she secured a job as a trainee in a casino and lived in an apartment with one roommate.

However, after about six months, her body was found lying unconscious outside a building next to her apartment.

In a video shared on the Lynn Ngugi Show on Saturday, December 7, the mother painfully recalled her last conversation with the daughter.

Undated photo of Joy Aoko posing for a photo
Undated photo of Joy Aoko posing for a photo

According to the mother, Aoko returned to her room at around 4 am and reached out to her mother. They talked over the phone before she went to freshen up and warm her food.

Her mother waited patiently for her daughter to warm the plate of minced meat, they continued to talk over text trying to catch up.

They talked for about 25 minutes before Aoko went silent without warning. 

"Her last text was at 4.25 am telling me her food is nice," the mother stated.

"We were waiting for her to come home at the end of August little did I know that morning would be the start of a painful journey in my daughter's life," she added.

Aoko's mother went down memory lane recounting how much life changed after her daughter secured the job.

"The first thing that my daughter did when she got to Albania was move me from Dandora to Buruburu. Life was getting good," she disclosed.

Following the agony of waiting for Aoko to call, she received a call from the Casino Aoko worked and was informed that her daughter had been hospitalised after an accident.

"This came to me as a shock, they did not tell me how my daughter got into the accident. Joy was healthy when we last spoke. What could have happened to her in the room?" she wondered.

According to the police reports, Aoko was initially reported missing before she was found fighting for her life.

Following the accident, she could only eat and breathe through tubes. She also needs the help of her mother to adjust her position on the hospital bed.

The family and friends have launched a GoFundMe page targeting to raise approximately Ksh61.8 million ($500,000) to help Joy Aoko get non-trauma rehabilitation at the Brain Neurological Rehabilitation Center.

"I have prayed for her and taken care of her since I got to the hospital. I am hopeful that my daughter will eventually get well," she stated amidst tears.

"We want to transfer my daughter to a different hospital to get the treatment she needs. I cannot do this on my own, I am humbly requesting your help for my daughter to be well again," the distraught mother appealed.

Aoko's dream to change her family's lives was tragically cut short by the accident.

A collage of undated of Joy Aoko and her mother
A collage of undated of Joy Aoko and her mother
  • . .