DCI Summons NTV Journalist Kenneth Ruto Over GSU Camp Attack Story

 NTV prime time bulletin image
NTV prime time bulletin image

Kenneth Ruto, a journalist attached to NTV, is at Kabarnet Police Station to record a statement over the broadcaster's coverage of a security story in the region.

A member of a consortium of journalists in the region confirmed to Kenyans.co.ke that the group stormed the station seeking answers over the decision by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) to summon the journalist.

The scribes argued that the summon was an act of intimidation by the police against journalists who cover cases of insecurity.

"We got to the police station demanding the reason for the summon but the DCI boss refused to tell us," the journalist told this writer.

NTV journalist Kenneth Ruto records an outtake
NTV journalist Kenneth Ruto records an outtake

"He is inside the police station but we are still outside. We wanted to leave the station but he (Ruto) was told to stay within the police building and they locked the door although he has his phone and we can communicate." 

Kenyans.co.ke understands that Ruto is awaiting Nation Media Group to send a lawyer before recording a statement.

The reporter was accused of reporting on a recent attack on a General Service Unit (GSU) camp in Kapindasum, Baringo County, by armed bandits.

"This incident has raised concerns about the safety and security of journalists in Baringo. The Baringo Journalists Association has called on the DCI to explain why Ruto has been summoned, and to ensure that his rights are protected," the Baringo Journalists Association demanded in a statement.

"Civil Society has also condemned the summons, saying that it is a clear attempt to silence the media and prevent them from reporting on important issues."

The consortium says that the summon has increased the level of fear among journalists posted in Baringo to cover the fight against bandits including a recent attack that claimed the life of a 13-year-old candidate who was set to sit this year's national examinations.

Our sources indicated that the bone of contention emanated from a claim that the attack lasted for six hours which the service has refuted.

On Tuesday, October 24, it was widely reported that the incident which involved an exchange of fire started at 10 a.m.

The reports further indicated that the cattle rustlers also surrounded the neighbouring Kapindasum Primary School. 

The attack was confirmed by police in Baringo and local administration officers, including Arabal location chief William Koech.

General Service Unit (GSU) officers durring a past operation in Nairobi Central Business District in 2022.
General Service Unit (GSU) officers during a past operation in Nairobi Central Business District in 2022.
Cops Kenya
  • . . .