The Media Council of Kenya has issued a strict warning to journalist Jeff Koinange following his Wednesday night show where Nairobi gubernatorial aspirants Miguna Miguna and Esther Passaris were caught up in a lewd and disgraceful verbal exchange.
In a warning message that was also directed to KTN television, the media council CEO Haron Mwangi said the Jeff Koinange Live show violated Clause 9 on obscenity, tone and taste of the code of conduct for the practice of journalists.
"This is to advise the producers and host of the show to be mindful of what transpires in their shows and moderate guests to avoid recurrence of the same," said Mwangi.
The MCK ordered Mr Koinange to ensure he adheres to journalistic ethics "particularly as we head towards the elections when passions are likely to be inflamed".
"We trust you will take the necessary remedial action, " Mr Mwangi added.
MCK's reaction came after Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero wrote to the council asking for action to be taken against KTN and Koinange for allowing Miguna, "on several occasions, to malign and libel him as a thief".
The Nairobi Governor noted that the JKL show host had failed to adhere to the requirements of the journalism profession.
According to Kidero, it was the fourth time the lawyer was maligning him with the "encouragement" of the host.
“I am writing to you, as a custodian of journalist ethics and standards, to look into the issues and take necessary quality assurance,” he said.
During the Wednesday night show, Miguna made sexually aggressive comments against Passaris who he claimed had vowed to "take a sex holiday to Seychelles in 2008 if Raila Odinga was declared president."
- Matatu Sanity29 November 2020 - 9:43 am
- corridors of justice29 November 2020 - 9:27 am
- My Take29 November 2020 - 9:18 am
- escape29 November 2020 - 9:04 am
- Unfortunate29 November 2020 - 8:11 am
- Life Saver29 November 2020 - 7:54 am
- costly29 November 2020 - 7:20 am
- details28 November 2020 - 7:58 pm
- looming danger28 November 2020 - 7:52 pm
- rising above28 November 2020 - 7:30 pm
- get out28 November 2020 - 7:21 pm
- update28 November 2020 - 5:39 pm