Kenya to Hold Extra Ordinary Summit On March 25th to discuss Plight of Refugees - Uhuru Announces
President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced that Kenya will hold a crucial meeting on Saturday, March 25 to discuss the plight of Somali refugees.
Addressing a joint press conference with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday, Kenyatta said the meeting will be convened with regard to Kenya's decision to repatriate refugees.
“On March 25th, we will host extra ordinary summit (IGAD) to discuss durable solutions to the plight of Somali refugees.
“Our policy is clear that refugees should be repatriated and the efforts guided by the relevant international laws,” the Head of State affirmed.
The president disclosed that Mr Guterres will visit the Dadaab refugee camp before departing the country.
During the address, the UN secretary-general applauded Kenya’s effort in ensuring peace across the neighbouring countries.
“I applaud Kenya's efforts in ensuring it secures peace in its neighbouring countries' especially South Sudan,” Mr Guterres said.
The UN boss has also pledged more support for refugees in Kenya and called on the international community to help Somalia build a functioning State.
- 8 December 2019 - 7:26 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 6:52 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 6:40 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 5:40 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 5:31 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 5:02 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 4:12 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 4:00 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 3:48 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 2:56 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 1:46 pm
- 8 December 2019 - 2:44 pm