The Officer Commanding Station (OCS) in Makupa area was on Monday beaten during Jamhuri Day celebrations in Mombasa after supporters of area Governor Hassan Joho clashed with Nyali Member of Parliament (MP) Hezron Awiti.
Trouble began when supporters of Awiti and Joho started trading insults before they descended on each other with kicks and blows at Tononoka grounds where the celebrations were taking place.
The OCS tried to intervene and restore order before he was punched on the abdomen and hit with a chair compelling other officers to intervene.
It took the intervention of General Service Unit (GSU) officers and the Rapid Response Unit to quell the violence that had temporarily disrupted the event.
The rivalry between Joho and Awiti seems to have intensified after the latter declared that he would vie for the Gubernatorial seat.
The two supporters hurled seats at each bringing the celebrations to a standstill before police officers lobbed tear gas to disperse them.
Senator Murungi has vowed to dethrone the incumbent Governor on a Jubilee ticket while Governor Munya has vowed to defend his seat on a PNU ticket.violence
- Revealed17 May 2022 - 8:03 pm
- Revealed17 May 2022 - 6:04 pm
- Changes17 May 2022 - 6:31 pm
- Old Debts17 May 2022 - 6:18 pm
- Lesson17 May 2022 - 5:52 pm
- Step By Step17 May 2022 - 4:38 pm
- feted17 May 2022 - 3:48 pm
- Taken17 May 2022 - 2:21 pm
- Behind Bars17 May 2022 - 1:49 pm
- Revealed17 May 2022 - 1:49 pm
- Masculinity17 May 2022 - 1:33 pm
- Dangerous17 May 2022 - 1:10 pm