Members of Parliament in the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) have issued their final recommendation on the fate of former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru in the infamous National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.
According to the final report handed to National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi for approval, the committee recommended that Ms Waiguru be blocked from holding any public office.
The committee, which is chaired by Rarieda MP Nicholas Gumbo, indicated that the former CS must be held responsible for "personally plotting and executing" the explosive multi-billion scam.
"The former CS should be further investigated and charged for supervising looting of public funds," the report reads in part.
If parliament adopts the recommendations by PAC, Waiguru who is eyeing the Kirinyaga gubernatorial seat will face a major political blow.
The NYS saga came to the limelight in 2015 and at the time only Sh791 Million was reported as having been stolen. After investigations, however, audit reports indicated that a whopping Sh1.8 Billion was looted in a grand scheme orchestrated by some senior government officials.
Since the scandal came to light, Ms Waiguru has consistently denied any connections to the scam only claiming she was a whistle-blower being judged unfairly.
The NYS scandal would later become a subject of fierce political debate forcing the former CS to resign.
The PAC recommendation comes at a time the Ethic and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) cleared Ms Waiguru to vie for public office.
- not yet uhuru6 June 2020 - 6:02 pm
- get ready6 June 2020 - 5:20 pm
- full speech6 June 2020 - 4:13 pm
- Gradual6 June 2020 - 4:15 pm
- Not yet over6 June 2020 - 3:47 pm
- free to move6 June 2020 - 3:37 pm
- Anxious6 June 2020 - 2:40 pm
- smart leader6 June 2020 - 2:56 pm
- unfortunate6 June 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Soaring6 June 2020 - 3:28 pm
- honour6 June 2020 - 2:10 pm
- Insider6 June 2020 - 1:55 pm