The Flying Squad which is officially called the Anti-Motor Vehicle Theft Unit has been dismantled, and officers who served under the unit in various parts of the country have been disarmed.
In an order issued on Monday, all officers who previously worked under this unit were asked to return their possession including handcuffs and uniforms.
According to reports by Nation, the decision to reconstruct the unit was reached after increased suspicions that some of its officers were linked to armed robberies and carjackings.
The squad will be constituted afresh by equipping it with untainted and retrained police officers from the General Service Unit (GSU) and other security departments.
[caption caption="Flying Squad officers with other security officers"][/caption]
Other specialized police sections which fall under the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) are also set for a revamp at county and regional levels.
Recently, an officer attached to Jogoo house, the National Police Service headquarters was beaten and injured by DCI officers attached to Nairobi's central Police station in relation to a mugging case.
The unit which also falls under the DCI is led by the recently appointed Director, George Kinoti.
Kinoti, who was appointed by President Uhuru Kenyatta, previously served as the National Police Service Spokesman.
Unlike police officers who are sent out to make arrests, the Flying Squad officers do not apprehend as their mission involves fire exchange.
[caption caption="George Kinoti taking oath as the Director of DCI"][/caption]
The Flying Squad officers also do not appear in court to give evidence since most of their missions are like those of hit squads.armed fire arrest armed
- tragedy26 September 2022 - 8:34 am
- Damage Control26 September 2022 - 7:47 am
- Orders26 September 2022 - 7:19 am
- Sad25 September 2022 - 8:03 pm
- Terror25 September 2022 - 5:42 pm
- Defiant25 September 2022 - 6:39 pm
- Goodbye25 September 2022 - 4:23 pm
- Tragic25 September 2022 - 3:50 pm
- Revealed25 September 2022 - 3:05 pm
- Financial Security25 September 2022 - 2:40 pm
- Nothing But Prayer25 September 2022 - 2:04 pm
- Heartbreaking25 September 2022 - 1:39 pm