United States President Donald Trump's government officials will be visiting Kenya in to have talks with the government on trade to better compete with China.
The official, Ray Washburne is in charge of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (Opic) that will seek to support development in Kenya.
According to reports, OPIC intends to construct the Nairobi-Mombasa Expressway which is estimated to cost over Ksh 200billion.
The official who works closely with Trump’s administration will be in the country on July 21 and he expects to expand the portfolio of the company in Kenya to cover more projects.
[caption caption="Cabinet Secretary for Transport James Macharia- via Facebook"][/caption]
Ray Washburne will come under an initiative called ‘Connect Africa’ which he hopes will be a three-year agreement as the two countries chart the way forward.
“The Chinese are in with ports and railroads and highways -- things that we need to be in as a competitor," Ray said at a previous meeting in South Africa.
President Trump has tried to see positive aspects of Africa and his team has been working to gain more footing in the continent hence OPIC’s planned trip to Kenya.
The road which is about 470 kilometers is scheduled to start from this month.
The ambitious project is being constructed by an American company, Bechtel engineering company.
Bechtel company said it planned on constructing 50 kilometers every six months until the completion of the entire project.
The Express highway has been facing challenges, especially on financing.
[caption caption="President Uhuru met Trump at a summit in Italy -via Facebook"][/caption]
- New Horizons10 August 2020 - 6:05 pm
- close shave10 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- watch out10 August 2020 - 5:12 pm
- City Tour10 August 2020 - 5:08 pm
- Anticipated Return10 August 2020 - 4:02 pm
- stranded10 August 2020 - 2:49 pm
- latest10 August 2020 - 2:27 pm
- furious10 August 2020 - 1:29 pm
- Ultimatums10 August 2020 - 1:09 pm
- By a Whisker10 August 2020 - 1:21 pm
- the journey10 August 2020 - 12:56 pm
- cash crunch10 August 2020 - 11:45 am