Kenyan rugby player Kenneth Mugambi was on Monday waylaid by thugs who stabbed him to death in Nkubu, Meru County.
According to reports, the Miathene High School player was in the company of his brother at the time of the incident.
Describing the 20-year-old as a rugby prodigy who displayed great skill, Miathene head coach Patrick Mwika told Citizen Digital that Mugambi succumbed due to excessive bleeding from the deep stab wounds he sustained during the attack.
“Mugambi was going to collect school fees arrears when they were attacked. The robbers who were armed stabbed Mugambi in the throat and in the hands,” he was quoted by the publication.
The brother who was with the athlete at the time was fortunate to escape unscathed.
Mugambi's demise comes after the rugby fraternity lost another player to an undisclosed illness.
Ngong Warriors released a statement on Monday confirming the passing of player Brian Adira who died on Sunday after being rushed to the hospital.
"The family and Ngong Warriors Rugby Club fraternity are still coming to terms with his untimely death.
Burial arrangements are underway involving the immediate family and friends and Ngong Rugby Club," the club's secretary Thomas Murayi disclosed.
Brian was a winger who played position 14 for Ngong Warriors for three successive seasons, two at the Nationwide league and one in the Championship.
He was feted as the club’s top try scorer in 2017.
Adira played his last competitive match for the Club during this year’s Prinsloo Sevens.
- Power play11 July 2020 - 2:44 pm
- rising curve11 July 2020 - 2:24 pm
- sweet deals11 July 2020 - 2:05 pm
- paying back11 July 2020 - 1:58 pm
- opportunities11 July 2020 - 12:56 pm
- lucky escape11 July 2020 - 1:03 pm
- Spotted11 July 2020 - 12:45 pm
- good news11 July 2020 - 12:00 pm
- R.I.P11 July 2020 - 11:17 am
- heartless11 July 2020 - 10:44 am
- Justice?11 July 2020 - 10:14 am
- Reconciled11 July 2020 - 9:26 am