Telco powerhouse Safaricom has received coveted international endorsement from the United Nations (UN) as a Global Compact LEAD company.
Safaricom got the recognition for its commitment to the United Nations Global Compact and its 10 Principles for responsible business.
The company was identified as one of the highest-engaged participants of the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative during the UN Global Compact Leaders’ Summit 2018 in New York.
“LEAD companies represent the highest level of engagement with the UN Global Compact. Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and creating the world we want will not happen without bold action from the responsible business community.
"We need companies like those recognised today as LEAD to be an inspiration to other companies, large and small, across the world,” Lise Kingo, CEO and Executive Director of the UN Global Compact remarked.
The telco has been recognised for participating in Action Platforms on health, climate change, business for humanitarian action and decent work.
Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore stated the company adopted a principle-based approach to sustainability from 2016.
This is part of its approach towards taking shared responsibility for achieving long-term desirable outcomes.
“We began the process of integrating 9 of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals into our business operations in 2016 and our business sustainability framework is now anchored around the SDGs” he mentioned.
The programme dubbed Mowgli Mentorship is aimed at increasing the number of women in leadership positions at the firm.
- Relief6 February 2023 - 8:27 pm
- Golden Boy6 February 2023 - 7:20 pm
- Relief6 February 2023 - 7:45 pm
- Heart Breaking6 February 2023 - 6:59 pm
- First punch6 February 2023 - 6:12 pm
- NEW DEVELOPMENTS6 February 2023 - 4:48 pm
- FREEDOM6 February 2023 - 4:00 pm
- Education6 February 2023 - 5:42 pm
- New entrant6 February 2023 - 3:59 pm
- Crime6 February 2023 - 5:21 pm
- CHANGING TIMES6 February 2023 - 3:16 pm
- On the spot6 February 2023 - 2:40 pm