Veteran musician Joseph Kamaru passed away on Thursday at MP Shah hospital.
His son, Stephen Maina, confirmed the news adding that the legendary artist had been taken to the hospital on Monday.
Kamaru, had earlier in the year been admitted to the same facility when he was suffering from back pains.
His plight attracted goodwill from Kenyans including President Uhuru Kenyatta who took the initiative to cater for his treatment.
In July, Deputy President William Ruto led a contingent of politicians to check up on the former benga musician.
Born in 1939, the celebrated musician hailed from Central Kenya.
He had one of the most illustrious careers in music selling about half a million records in his prime.
He started pursuing music in 1965 after moving to Nairobi eight years prior. His breakthrough came in 1967 with the smash hit Celina.
In the late 1980s, he was the first Kenyan artist to play at the Carnivore Restaurant which was by that time only hosting foreign artists.
The owner of the restaurant, Martin Dunford, termed Kamaru's vibrant set as the performance that opened doors for other Kenyan artists to perform at the venue.
He used his songs to address political issues, either praising or criticising the government.
Initially, he had a good relationship with president Jomo Kenyatta, but after writing a song condemning the murder of Josiah Mwangi Kariuki in 1975 Kamaru fell out with him.
Kamaru recorded more than 2000 songs since his debut as he remains to be a great Kenyan legend in the field of entertainment.
His popular songs include muhiki wa mikosi and muti uyu mukuona among othersmurder
- Progress22 October 2021 - 7:57 pm
- Fun22 October 2021 - 7:14 pm
- Grilled22 October 2021 - 6:25 pm
- Fraud22 October 2021 - 7:39 pm
- Applications Open22 October 2021 - 7:12 pm
- AWARDS22 October 2021 - 6:44 pm
- Confidential22 October 2021 - 6:00 pm
- revealed22 October 2021 - 5:17 pm
- Oscars22 October 2021 - 5:33 pm
- Fresh Orders22 October 2021 - 4:02 pm
- Promises22 October 2021 - 4:34 pm
- REVEALED22 October 2021 - 5:04 pm