Deputy President William Ruto has threatened to take action against all those citizens who impregnate school going children.
Speaking in Nyabururu, Kisii County, the DP promised that they would face the full force of the law for compromising young girls.
“Wasichana wengi wa primary school na secondary school bado wanawekwa mimba na watu sijui ni wazimu, (Our girls in primary and secondary schools are being impregnated by people likely to be mad)” he stated.
He further added that it was paramount for all children to stay in school since it was the backbone of development in the country.
Ruto also urged school heads, teachers, parents and the government to work together in order to eliminate Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and forced marriages that lead to early pregnancies terming them as “outdated practices that deny girls education.”
Members of parliament, who were in attendance, advocated for the review of the constitution with stealth punishment of the perpetrators including having their manhood chopped off.
Cases of teenage pregnancy have surged in the country especially that of KCSE and KCPE candidates.
According to reports, at least 449 missed to sit the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) due to early pregnancies or forced marriages.
In secondary school however, a week after the examinations began, at least 150 cases of pregnant candidates have been reported with most affected counties being Kitui and Bomet.
Kitui has recorded 110 pregnancies so far with 38 of whom already gave birth while Bomet has recorded more than 20 cases of candidates sitting for the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE).
Boda Boda riders have since been put on the spot after they were accused of enticing the girls with free rides.steal child
- New directive16 September 2021 - 7:48 pm
- Freedom16 September 2021 - 8:01 pm
- Scammed16 September 2021 - 7:38 pm
- Fury16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Clapback16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- OPPORTUNITY16 September 2021 - 6:26 pm
- Central Role16 September 2021 - 6:25 pm
- unfortunate16 September 2021 - 5:41 pm
- Kind-Hearted16 September 2021 - 5:27 pm
- Remarkable16 September 2021 - 5:51 pm
- Disrupted16 September 2021 - 4:38 pm
- long arm of law16 September 2021 - 4:45 pm