Fire Burns Gikomba Market Again
A fire broke out in Gikomba, Nairobi on Wednesday night, engulfing part of the market.
Fortunately, a team of firefighters from Nairobi County Government contained the inferno it before it spread to other areas.
Though a lot of property was destroyed, no injuries were reported.
The inferno becomes the third fire to raze down the market in less than a year.
In November 2018, traders woke up to huge losses after another early morning fire burned down a number of stalls in the market.
In June 2018, 15 people died and 70 others sustained serious burn injuries after a fire at the same market.
President Uhuru Kenyatta has in the past expressed his concerns about the constant frustrations the market traders have been facing.
Speaking during a two-day Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) forum in October 2018, at Strathmore University, he admitted the government had failed to reform the sector.
“I will not read my speech because it is shameful for the government. I'm embarrassed to stand here in front of you people to be reminded of what we should have done many years ago,” regretted Uhuru.
The president also hit at Nairobi Governor, Mike Sonko for the county government's failure to construct proper drainage systems for the traders at the market that hosts over 14,000 traders.
- 15 September 2019 - 8:23 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 7:37 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 7:21 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 6:39 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 5:51 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 4:39 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 5:09 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 6:16 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 3:51 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 4:02 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 3:27 pm
- 15 September 2019 - 2:53 pm