Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has joined in the celebration of the first ever female elected to head the powerful students association of the University of Nairobi.
Ann Mwangi Mvurya was on Sunday unveiled as the new Chairperson of the University of Nairobi Students Association (formerly SONU).
Sonko later that day invited the third-year law student to his office and congratulated her for the amazing fete.
The governor hinted that Ann had become part of his Nairobi Beautification Project due to her appealing appearance.
"Nairobi beautification goes on. My compliments to my sister and friend Ann Mwangi Mvuria for being elected as the Chairperson of the University of Nairobi Students Association (UNSA).
"Ann becomes the first female student with beauty and brains in the history of students leadership in Kenya to be elected in this position. Congrats to Team Twaweza," wrote the governor.
This was the second time that the students elected their leaders following the signing into law of the Universities Amendment Bill in 2016 by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
According to the Act, the students association is to be governed by a student council comprising a chairperson and a vice chairperson who must be of the opposite gender, a treasurer, a secretary-general, and three other members to represent special interests of students.
Heading the formidable students union at the university is considered a very great honour and a stepping stone to national politics.
Some of the former politicians whose ascent to leadership was boosted by serving in the students association include; Embakasi East Constituency MP Babu Owino, Siaya Senator James Orengo, Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja, and National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi among others.
- Imagerebuke1 April 2020 - 10:30 am
- Imagebrighter days1 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- Imageexposed1 April 2020 - 9:51 am
- ImageCovid-191 April 2020 - 9:32 am
- Imageunfortunate1 April 2020 - 9:16 am
- Imageheartbreaking1 April 2020 - 8:38 am
- Imagenick of time1 April 2020 - 7:58 am
- ImageMy Take1 April 2020 - 7:33 am
- Imageintervention1 April 2020 - 7:50 am
- Imagesecond chance31 March 2020 - 8:37 pm
- Imageon the radar1 April 2020 - 7:27 am
- Imagelifeline31 March 2020 - 7:18 pm