The Groove Awards 2019 is set to be one of the most competitive editions to date - if the list of nominees is anything to go by.
Under the theme, "Better Together" the nominees were unveiled at an exclusive red carpet event held at the Kenyan National Theatre on Wednesday.
Artists Willy Paul and Bahati missed out on the nominations despite being active in the music scene in the past year.
Jabidii broke his own record bagging the most nominations with 11 nods, bettering his seven nominations from the 2018 edition.
He got recognized in the Artist of the Year category, Collabo of the Year, Song of the Year, Teens Choice Song of the Year (in which he received 2 nominations), Reggae/Ragga Song of the Year, Breakthrough Artist of the year, Collabo of the year and Dance style/song of the Year – a category that saw him receive 3 nominations.
Timeless Noel and Moji ShortBabaa impressively received 6 nominations each.
There was a split of the Breakthrough Artists Category to accommodate both the Male and Female artists separately and the introduction of new categories; – Online/Digital Personality of the Year, Young Groover of the Year and the Diaspora Artists of the Year category respectively.
Online voting has been opened and one can vote for their favorite nominee by logging onto the Groove Awards website.
Voting closes at midnight on the 31st of May 2019.
This year’s winners will be announced on 1st June 2019 at the Gala Awards ceremony, to be held in Nairobi.
A winner’s concert is then slated shortly after the awards ceremony on 8th June 2019 in Mombasa.
Here is the full list of nominees:
- upgrade21 October 2020 - 7:30 pm
- no-show21 October 2020 - 7:02 pm
- Get Out21 October 2020 - 5:49 pm
- taking chances21 October 2020 - 6:04 pm
- emergency21 October 2020 - 6:17 pm
- counterpunch21 October 2020 - 4:41 pm
- On the hunt21 October 2020 - 4:57 pm
- latest report21 October 2020 - 4:01 pm
- angered21 October 2020 - 4:16 pm
- indecisive21 October 2020 - 4:26 pm
- tough tines21 October 2020 - 3:29 pm
- My Cup of Tea21 October 2020 - 4:03 pm