Alcohol lovers were hit hard on Monday after prices of alcoholic products hiked once again.
The new prices will see an average of an increment of Ksh10 for all the popular beer brands.
As a result, the recommended retail price of a 500ml bottle of Tusker Lager is now Ksh160 up from Ksh150, while a 500ml bottle of Guinness Stout will retail at Ksh180, up from Ksh170.
The price change also affects several brands of spirits.
A 250ml bottle of Smirnoff Vodka will now retail at Ksh 420, up from Ksh 400, while a 250ml bottle of Gilbey’s Gin will retail at Ksh 410, up from Ksh 390.
However, the price change will not affect three brands of spirits – Chrome, Kenya Cane and Kane Extra.
The move comes just one month after the National Treasury Cabinet Secretary, Henry Rotich, announced an increase in excise duty on alcohol and cigarettes in his 2019/20 budget.
According to Rotich, the sin tax hike is meant to plug deficits in the budget.
The excise duty also targets other harmful products, such as old motor vehicles and plastic bags.
In April 2019, there was an increase in prices of alcohol after corporate tax was increased from 30 percent to 35 percent.
- Shed Light5 August 2020 - 4:31 pm
- making it big5 August 2020 - 4:46 pm
- new frontier5 August 2020 - 3:46 pm
- Genius5 August 2020 - 3:42 pm
- family matters5 August 2020 - 3:31 pm
- Surge5 August 2020 - 3:16 pm
- adapting5 August 2020 - 2:41 pm
- fiery5 August 2020 - 2:54 pm
- time to upgrade5 August 2020 - 1:57 pm
- for life5 August 2020 - 1:37 pm
- Fruitless5 August 2020 - 12:57 pm
- Magnificent5 August 2020 - 12:41 pm