University education in Kenya has been on the spot over the last few months as Education CS, George Magoha, tries to streamline the sector.
4icu.org, an education website that ranks institutions of higher learning across the world, has listed that top 10 universities in Kenya.
At number ten is the Catholic University of Eastern Africa famously known as CUEA.
Founded in 1989, Catholic University of Eastern Africa is a non-profit private higher education institution located along Magadi road.
The university which ranked number nine in the country is Technical University of Kenya aka TUK.
Established in 2007, TUK was formerly known as the Kenyan National Polytechnic and is located along Haile Selassie Avenue in Nairobi.
The institution is officially accredited and/or recognized by the Commission for University Education, Kenya.
At number eight is Moi University.
Established in 1984, Moi University also has branch campuses in the following location(s): Eldoret West Campus, Nairobi, Kitale, Kericho, Odero Akang'o (which is their campus in Yala, Siaya county).
This 35-year-old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on students' past academic record and grades.
Egerton University was ranked number seven.
Founded in 1987, Egerton University is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the sub-urban setting of the town of Njoro.
This institution does not have a selective admission policy and is well known for agriculture-related courses.
At number six is Mount Kenya University aka MKU.
Founded in 2008, Mount Kenya University is a private higher education institution with its headquarters in the town of Thika, Kiambu.
MKU offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees in bachelor degrees in several areas of study.
One of its well-known branches in the Parklands branch which offers law degree.
Nairobi-based United States International University-Africa (USIU) was ranked fifth in the country.
Established in 1989, United States International University Africa is a private higher education institution.
At number four is Strathmore University also known as Strath.
Founded in 2002, the institution has an admission rate range of 30-40% making this Kenyan higher education organization a very selective institution.
uniRank enrollment ranges 4,000-4,999 students making Strathmore University a small coeducational higher education institution.
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology better known as JKUAT is ranked at number three in the country.
The institution, which was founded in 1994, is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the suburb of Juja.
Its admission rate range is 90-100% making this higher education organization a least selective institution.
International applicants are also eligible to apply for enrollment.
At number two is Kenyatta University, better known as KU, founded in 1985.
The public institution is located in the suburban setting, along Thika Road in Kiambu.
KU boasts of a population of over 45,000 students and also welcomes international applications.
Top of the lot in the ranking of the institutions of higher learning is the University of Nairobi.
Established in 1970, UoN is a public institution located in the urban setting of Nairobi City.
This 49-year-old university has a selective admission policy based on students' past academic record and grades.
The admission rate range is 40-50% making this an averagely selective institution. International applicants are also eligible to apply for enrollment.
Below is a list of the top 10 private universities in Kenya
1. Strathmore (4th in the country)
2. United States International University- Africa (USIU-A) (5th in the country)
3.Mount Kenya University (MKU)(6th in the country)
4. Catholic University of East Africa ( No. 10 Nationally)
5. Africa Nazarene University (Ranked 11th in Kenya)
6. Kenya Methodist University (KeMU)(Number 12 in the country)
7. Daystar University(14th nationally)
8. KCA University (number 15 in the country)
9. St. Paul’s University (18th Nationally)
10. University of East Africa, Baraton (22nd Nationwide)
Top Public Universities in Kenya
1. The University of Nairobi (UoN) (1st Nationally)
2. Kenyatta University(KU) (number 2 countrywide)
3. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) 3rd Nationwide
4. Egerton University(ranked 7th in the country)
5. Moi University (8th in the nation)
6. Technical University of Kenya (TUK) (ranked at number 9 nationwide)
7. Maseno University (13th countrywide)
8. Dedan Kimathi University of Technology (16th in Kenya)
9. Kisii University (17th in Kenya)
10. South Eastern University Kenya (SUKE) (ranked at number 19 countrywide)
- Relief6 February 2023 - 8:27 pm
- Golden Boy6 February 2023 - 7:20 pm
- Relief6 February 2023 - 7:45 pm
- Heart Breaking6 February 2023 - 6:59 pm
- First punch6 February 2023 - 6:12 pm
- NEW DEVELOPMENTS6 February 2023 - 4:48 pm
- FREEDOM6 February 2023 - 4:00 pm
- Education6 February 2023 - 5:42 pm
- New entrant6 February 2023 - 3:59 pm
- Crime6 February 2023 - 5:21 pm
- CHANGING TIMES6 February 2023 - 3:16 pm
- On the spot6 February 2023 - 2:40 pm