Kenyans.co.ke has unveiled the Top 100 Journalists in Kenya in 2019.
Over the last few months, the team undertook the task of ploughing through hundreds of profiles of Kenyan journalists to determine who among them had the biggest impact in the media industry in 2019.
A list that started out with more than 300 journalists, was combed through by an able team which narrowed them down by assessing several qualities.
The first hurdle was to distinguish between media personalities and journalists as many Kenyans consider anyone who works at a media house, a scribe.
The Kenyan media industry has many talented radio, TV presenters and hosts who may not necessarily be journalists.
They include celebrities and comedians who keep their audiences hooked to the programs.
We defined journalism as the activity of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting news and information which was the bare minimum filter to qualify for assessment.
We, therefore, used the said elements to determine the individuals who use these qualities to serve the public's interest.
When the team narrowed down the list, they assessed each one of them based on the quality of interviews, experience, diversity of talents and skills, as well as their ability to set the agenda for the nation.
We also looked at the roles they play in their different organisations such as seniority, oversight and management positions.
In this day and age of real-time borderless publishing and reporting, the team also considered how well journalists are able to leverage digital platforms to break glass ceilings in their careers.
Kenyans.co.ke also considered making honourable mentions to various individuals who made a comeback to media in 2019.
Janet Mbugua, who quit Citizen TV in 2017, returned to the screens mid-June to host Here and Now with Janet Mbugua on NTV.
Anne Kiguta recently made headlines when she announced that she was coming back to the screen, and on Sunday , she hosted Deputy President William Ruto on her debut at K24.
Terryanne Chebet also returned to the media with her new role at Metropol TV, heading the station as the general manager, as well as presenting news.
Also, worth mentioning are some journalist who would definitely have made it to the top 100 list owing to their contribution to the media industry but have already exited media houses for better positions like State House Spokesperson, Kanze Dena, who was a presenter at Citizen TV.
Former NTV business news anchor, Laban Onserio, also moved to the office of the president after he was appointed to the Presidential Delivery Unit, just to name a few.
The industry has also seen a new crop of scribes emerge as the digital revolution continues to manifest in the media. Among them is Kimani Mbugua and Zindzi Kibiku of Citizen TV, Shiksha Arora of K24 TV, Jesse Rogers of KTN News, Mukami Wambora of Citizen TV among others.
Note: Some journalists including Jacque Maribe, Rob N. Jillo and Njoki Chege quit their media houses after we had made this list.
- Jeff Koinange - Citizen TV
- Yvonne Okwara - Citizen TV
- Larry Madowo - BBC
- Hussein Mohammed - Citizen TV
- Betty Kyallo - K24 TV
- Lulu Hassan - Citizen TV
- Sophia Wanuna - KTN News
- Rashid Abdalla - Citizen TV
- Waihiga Mwaura - Citizen TV
- Ali Manzu - KTN News
- John Kamau - Daily Nation
- Mike Okinyi - Citizen TV
- Lilian Muli - Citizen TV
- Willis Raburu - Citizen TV
- Linus Kaikai - Citizen TV
- Joe Ageyo - Citizen TV
- Victoria Rubadiri - Citizen TV
- Mark Masai - NTV
- Dennis Okari - NTV
- Mashirima Kapombe - Citizen TV
- Paul Wafula - Daily Nation
- Asha Mwilu - Citizen TV
- Alex Chamwada - Chams Media
- John Allan Namu - African Uncensored
- Saida Swaleh - Citizen TV
- Jackson Biko - Business Daily
- Nimrod Taabu - Citizen TV
- Jane Ngoiri - NTV
- Cyrus Ombati - The Standard
- Ken Mijungu - NTV
- Francis Gachuri - Citizen TV
- Anne Kiguta - K24 TV
- Mercy Juma - BBC
- Beatrice Marshall - CGTN Africa
- Stephen Letoo - Citizen TV
- Emmanuel Juma - NTV
- Smriti Vidyarthi - NTV
- Mercy Kandie - BBC
- Michael Njenga - Inooro TV
- Sam Gituku - Citizen TV
- Hassan Mugambi - Citizen TV
- Debarl Inea - NTV
- Oliver Mathenge - The Star
- Trevor Ombija - Citizen TV
- Jamila Mohamed - Citizen TV
- Watson Karuma - NTV
- Sheilah Sendeyo - NTV
- Edith Kimani - DW, Germany
- Rita Tinina - KTN News
- Olive Burrows - NTV
- Ali Mtenzi - K24 TV
- Hussein Mohamed - KTN News
- Njoki Chege - Formerly of Daily Nation
- Ben Kitili - KTN News
- Bernard Ndong - Citizen TV
- Zubeidah Kananu - KTN News
- Fred Indimuli - K24 TV
- Franklin Wambugu - K24 TV
- Jacque Maribe - Formerly of Citizen TV
- Hassan Juma - KTN News
- Duncan Khaemba - KTN News
- John Ngirachu - Formerly of Daily Nation
- Sylvia Chebet - BBC
- Isabella Kituri - K24 TV
- Idris Situma -BBC
- Swaleh Mdoe - Citizen TV
- Sharon Momanyi - KTN News
- Eric Njoka - K24 TV
- Mwanaisha Chidzuga -K24 TV
- Robin Njogu - Royal Media Services
- Edmond Nyabola - NTV
- Gladys Gachanja - NTV
- Shiundu Alphonce - Africa Check
- Emmanuel Igunza - BBC
- Zeynab Wandati - NTV
- Tony Timase - K24 TV
- Kamau wa Kang'ethe - Inooro TV
- Enock Sikolia - Citizen TV
- Ferdinand Omondi - BBC
- Torome Tirike - K24 TV
- Sean Cardovillis - NTV
- Peninah Karibe - CCTV
- Nyambega Gisesa - Daily Nation
- Peter Opondo - K24 TV
- Rob N Jillo - Formerly of Capital FM
- Mutuma Mathiu - NMG
- Akisa Wandera - KTN News
- Julie Gichuru - Arimis
- Purity Mwambia - Citizen TV
- Terry Nzau - Mbaitu FM
- Linda Ogutu - KTN News
- Macharia Gaitho - NMG
- Muthoni Mukiri - Inooro TV
- Bonny Tunya - BBC
- Salim Swaleh - NTV
- Susan Kiprono - Classic 105
- Paul Nabiswa - KTN News
- Michael Gitonga - KTN News
- Tony Kwalanda - K24 TV
- Walter Menya - Daily Nation
Here are the Top 100 journalists in Kenya.
Here is a video of the Top 100 journalists in Kenya.
- Imagerebuke1 April 2020 - 10:30 am
- Imagebrighter days1 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- Imageexposed1 April 2020 - 9:51 am
- ImageCovid-191 April 2020 - 9:32 am
- Imageunfortunate1 April 2020 - 9:16 am
- Imageheartbreaking1 April 2020 - 8:38 am
- Imagenick of time1 April 2020 - 7:58 am
- ImageMy Take1 April 2020 - 7:33 am
- Imageintervention1 April 2020 - 7:50 am
- Imagesecond chance31 March 2020 - 8:37 pm
- Imageon the radar1 April 2020 - 7:27 am
- Imagelifeline31 March 2020 - 7:18 pm