As the race to succeed the late Kibra MP, Ken Okoth, gears up, Nairobi Woman Rep, Esther Passaris, on Monday, reached out to ODM leader, Raila Odinga, to consider the deceased’s brother, Imran Okoth, as the party’s candidate.
“My sincere hope is that we look at Ken’s family like we have always done in all elections when we need by-elections. Let us look at Ken’s family. I know his brother has been the CDF manager.
"It is my hope and desire that we will allow him to be our candidate as ODM so that he can continue and complete Ken Okoth’s projects, as some are halfway through. Although that is subject to the party making the decision,” Passaris stated after speaking to ODM chair ladies in Nairobi.
Passaris further hit out at other contestants, urging them to wait for the 2022 General Election.
“That way we can have continuity and come 2022, the person who is there can run again or the party can look for other options,” the woman leader spoke out.
National Assembly Speaker, Justin Muturi, is set to declare the seat vacant after the death of Okoth on July 26.
The Independent Electoral and Boundary Commission (IEBC) will then prepare for the by-election within three months of the issuance of the notice by the speaker.
National Assembly Clerk, Michael Sialai, told Nation that the speaker would likely make a declaration on or before Friday.
“As you know, the 21 days start counting a day after the death of the member, which means that the days shall elapse on Friday. As we talk the notice is already being worked on,” Sialai divulged.
Apart from Imran, Raila’s former Chief Campaign Manager, Eliud Owalo, former Embakasi South MP, Irshad Sumra, former Senator, Elizabeth Ongoro, ODM secretary-general, Edwin Sifuna, and ODM youth leader, Benson Musungu, are said to have interests in the seat.
Watch the video courtesy of Daily Nation.
- Imagewow27 February 2020 - 5:56 pm
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm