According to a report by Daily Nation, the KICC CEO authorised a trip to Mauritius to receive two awards and reportedly flew out the institution's entire management and board.
“With our approval, the listed will leave on May 30, 2019, and return on June 3, 2019, while the CEO together with her executive PA will leave on May 28, 2019, to attend the briefing ahead of the awards,” read part of letter that was prepared and signed by KICC Director of Business Development Services, Geoffrey Thande.
Some of the 20 executives who went on the trip include board members Jane Adam, Lucy Macridis, Kavinya Mwendwa, Fatma Muses and Jackson Kinyanjui among others.
The expenditure did not, however, sit well with the Public Investments Committee (PIC) that oversights KICC management which is led by Mvita MP Abdulswamad Nassir.
“The committee is seized of the matter and is liaising with the Auditor- General to establish whether there was value for the money,” stated Nassir.
Broken down, Gecaga spent Ksh 776,500 including Ksh 277,800 in allowances, Ksh 398,700 on air ticket (business class) and Ksh 100,000 in entertainment allowance.
His board members reportedly received Kshh 583,900 for the four days they spent in the West-African country while members of staff got between Kshh 300,850 and Ksh 386,250 depending on the rank.
KICC had been nominated in two categories including Africa’s leading Meetings and Conference Centre 2019 and Africa’s Leading Business Travel Destination 2019.
Auditor-General Edward Ouko had earlier raised a red flag in the institution's management for failing to collect the projected revenue of Ksh1.33 billion and only managed to get Ksh620.8 million in the 2017/18 year.
- Imagewow27 February 2020 - 5:56 pm
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm