Ksh64M Fake Currency Dumped by the Roadside
Pedestrians along Ngong Road, in Nairobi on Sunday, September 1, stumbled on a box full of counterfeit currency in what is becoming a familiar occurrence in Kilimani area of the city.
The fake currency in US Dollars and Euros was found dumped near the Coptic Hospital by passers-by who alerted the police in Kilimani.
It was established that $640, 000 (Ksh64M) in fake currency was ready for distribution to the market while $2.4 million (Ksh240M) was in different stages of processing, The Standard reports.
The officers were also able to recover 2,350 fake Euro bills as well as 15 litres of processing chemicals.
Nairobi police boss, Philip Ndolo said they were yet to establish the culprits behind the dumping of the fake bills.
Ndolo stated, "Investigations are ongoing on the issue. No arrests have been made to enable us to know the motive."
Kilimani area has in the recent past turned into a hotbed of counterfeit currency where detectives have constantly nabbed con artists involved.
In May, nine suspects were arrested in the Kilimani area where Ksh190 million in fake currency was recovered.
This was only 2 days after seven suspects were nabbed with counterfeit Ksh300 million in a house in the same area.
- 19 September 2019 - 12:11 pm
- 19 September 2019 - 11:47 am
- 19 September 2019 - 12:04 pm
- 19 September 2019 - 11:27 am
- 19 September 2019 - 10:10 am
- 19 September 2019 - 10:00 am
- 19 September 2019 - 10:17 am
- 19 September 2019 - 9:57 am
- 19 September 2019 - 9:47 am
- 19 September 2019 - 10:38 am
- 19 September 2019 - 9:02 am
- 19 September 2019 - 8:43 am