Murang'a in Chaos After Ndindi Nyoro Arrest
Shortly after the arrest of Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro on the night of Monday, September 9, protests erupted in Murang'a Town as his supporters came out in solidarity with the embattled legislator.
Residents brought traffic to a standstill along the Kenyatta Highway by lighting bonfires with burnt tyres and occupying the street saying the arrest of the MP was unfair.
The Star reported that anti-riot police were swiftly deployed to disperse the protesters by firing teargas canisters at them.
The Kiharu MP was arrested hours after the police had given him an ultimatum to surrender else they would launch a manhunt for him to forcefully detain him.
He was taken to Murang'a Police Station and is awaiting to be arraigned in court on Tuesday, September 10.
Nyoro was being sought after a confrontation between him and nominated MP Maina Kamanda ensued during a church service on Sunday, September 8.
Nyoro and Kamanda clashed during a service at Gitui Catholic Church in Kiharu causing chaos that disrupted the proceedings.
According to Muranga County Criminal Investigations Officer, Julius Rutere, Nyoro faces charges of resisting arrest, assault and disrupting a church service.
- 15 December 2019 - 10:11 am
- 15 December 2019 - 9:44 am
- 15 December 2019 - 9:23 am
- 15 December 2019 - 8:19 am
- 15 December 2019 - 7:08 am
- 14 December 2019 - 8:55 pm
- 14 December 2019 - 8:32 pm
- 14 December 2019 - 8:09 pm
- 14 December 2019 - 7:20 pm
- 14 December 2019 - 6:52 pm
- 14 December 2019 - 7:45 pm
- 14 December 2019 - 6:36 pm