A senior DCI officer and two junior police officers were on Tuesday, September 11, nabbed with approximately Ksh4 million in fake currency.
The senior officer serving in Bungoma who was identified only as Kahindi by The Standard, had reportedly linked up with his two junior accomplices and embarked on their journey to Busia, to 'clean' 415 notes of 100 US dollar bills.
However, their fellow officers, acting on a verified tip-off, stopped their saloon car just as they got to Busia and ordered them to lie down at gunpoint.
They then moved swiftly to disarm the two junior officers, with the senior officer allegedly found unarmed.
Upon combing through the entire vehicle as well as the suspects, 41,500 in fake US dollars (Ksh4.3 million) and an additional fake Ksh 2,000 in fake currency was recovered from the high ranking officer's pockets.
Reports further revealed that the three officers were interrogated long into the night in a bid to establish the source of the large amounts of fake currency.
DCI boss George Kinoti has since dispatched a team from Nairobi to handle the incident which has cast a damning shadow over his office.
The two junior officers reportedly fingered the DCIO as the mastermind of the entire operation, going on to claim that he ordered them to accompany him to Busia without knowing that he was in possession of the fake currency.
This latest incident comes amidst countrywide reports of increased circulation of fake currency in the country ahead of the demonetisation deadline.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm
- Imagepeacemakers24 February 2020 - 12:30 pm