Senate's Majority Leader Kipchumba Murkomen, on Wednesday, September 18, turned his guns towards President Uhuru Kenyatta's team moments after he canceled the Kimwarer dam project.
The project, which has made headlines a couple of times in the media, was found to be overpriced and economically unviable.
Taking to Twitter, the senator claimed that there was an imbalance in the selection of the committee that eventually gave recommendations on the report.
Murkomen insinuated that it was the skewed team, which never carried out proper consultation that involved public participation that misled the president which lead to the project's cancellation.
"Planned cancellation of Kimwarer and the restructuring of the Arror dams doesn't surprise me at all. The plan all along was to kill the projects. The composition of the technical committee doesn't reflect ethnic and regional balance. Maringa (Paul), (Julius) Matu, (Benjamin) Mwangi and (John) Muiruri have sadly misled the President.
"Tech committee didn’t consult anyone and it didn't carry out public participation. EMC has been denied rightful share of national projects in a deliberate act of discrimination. They would rather default and pay contractors billions of money for breach of contract than to see our people benefit," lamented Murkomen.
The committee established that no current reliable feasibility study had been conducted on the dam project.
In addition, it was noted that a study orchestrated on a similar project 28 years ago had revealed a geological fault across the 800-acre project area, which would have negative structural effects on the proposed dam.
Also, the committee disclosed that people living in the project area would require compensation if they were to be displaced.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm
- Imagepeacemakers24 February 2020 - 12:30 pm
- Imageno holds barred24 February 2020 - 11:32 am