UPDATE: Seven pupils have been confirmed dead by the Dagoretti OCPD.
A classroom full of pupils on Monday, September 23, collapsed at Precious Talent School along Ngong Road in Nairobi.
Confirming the incident, Kenya Red Cross stated that emergency teams had responded and were working to evacuate the injured.
64 pupils have been taken to Kenyatta National Hospital for treatment.
Reports indicate that dozens of pupils are still trapped inside.
Dagoretti OCPD confirmed that seven pupils had succumbed in the morning tragedy.
The two-storey building in Ng’ando area caved in and came down a few minutes to 7am.
The collapsed classroom was housing junior pupils, but the most affected are class six, seven and eight pupils who were on the ground floor.
"Some children have run away. No teachers are around and we tried looking for them. We mobilised the bodaboda riders to take the injured students to the hospital," an eyewitness told journalists.
Acting CEO of KNH Dr Kamuri gave an update of the condition of the children who had been admitted at the hospital.
"We have received 64 children. He stated that the children were in stable condition with only two are in critical condition.
"We have organised for them to get food and we ask parents and Kenyans, in general, to continue praying for the children but as for now they are all stable," he told journalists outside the hospital.
- Nabbed11 August 2020 - 8:19 pm
- fiery11 August 2020 - 7:42 pm
- resurfaced11 August 2020 - 7:31 pm
- Social Media Power11 August 2020 - 7:52 pm
- Sailed11 August 2020 - 6:26 pm
- fiery11 August 2020 - 6:10 pm
- against all odds11 August 2020 - 6:20 pm
- Full Guide11 August 2020 - 6:44 pm
- I dare you11 August 2020 - 5:37 pm
- latest11 August 2020 - 4:28 pm
- razed11 August 2020 - 3:58 pm
- new team11 August 2020 - 4:11 pm