Activist Okiya Omtatah Okoiti on Tuesday, October 30, went after National Assembly Majority Leader, Aden Duale over ties with Somalia.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Omtatah confirmed that Duale allegedly possesses dual citizenship and in this case, was reportedly in possession of a Somali passport.
The activist wrote to the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission (EACC) in a letter dated October 1, asking the anti-graft agency to probe the nationality status of Kenyan Members of Parliament.
This was after the Chairman of the Committee for Defence and Foreign Affairs, Katoo Ole Metiso, on June 9, called on EACC to initiate a probe into whether state officers bore dual nationality.
Following on Metiso's order, Omtatah requested EACC to conduct the same audit on all Members of Parliament.
According to the activist, the purpose of the audit was to "establish whether either of them has allegiance to foreign nations via citizenship and or the possession of such instruments such as green cards".
The audit on MPs was to pay special focus on the following members with alleged allegiance to the respective countries.
Members of the National Assembly
1. Aden Duale - Somalia
2. Kamukunji MP Yusuf Hassan - UK
3. Marsabit Woman Rep Sofia Adan - Somali and Ethiopia
4. Mandera South MP Haji Adan -Somalia
5. Dadaab MP Mohammed Duale -Somalia
6. Lagdera MP Mohammed Garane -Somalia
7. Mwingi West MP Charles Nguna - Greece
8. Naivasha MP Jane Kihara - US
9. Former MP Philip Kaloki - US
Members of the Senate
1. Narok Senator Olekuna Ledama - US
2. Nakuru Senator Susan Kihika - US
Omtatah went ahead to give the commission an ultimatum of 15 days from the date of his letter, also advising EACC to publicly disclose the findings of the audit.
Recently, Ambassadorial nominee to South Korea Mwende Mwinzi was on the spot over her dual citizenship.
The National Assembly approved her for the job on the condition that she gave up her US passport, which she protested would be a violation of her rights to be forced out of something she did not choose.probe
- Triumphant26 June 2022 - 4:41 pm
- Revealed26 June 2022 - 3:58 pm
- Godsend26 June 2022 - 5:19 pm
- Comeback26 June 2022 - 3:24 pm
- Unfortunate26 June 2022 - 1:01 pm
- Details26 June 2022 - 12:52 pm
- Gloves off26 June 2022 - 1:49 pm
- Take Note26 June 2022 - 11:51 am
- Revealed26 June 2022 - 10:48 am
- On the spot26 June 2022 - 9:37 am
- I'm Out26 June 2022 - 8:59 am
- Manhunt26 June 2022 - 8:26 am