Digital Innovations and Diaspora Communications Secretary Dennis Itumbi, has come under fire from tweeps after he made a comment that most found unsettling.
Itumbi made the remark after Eliud Kipchoge successfully became the first human to run a 42-kilometer race in under 2 hours.
Taking to his social media pages, Itumbi stated that Kipchoge deserved the Chief of The Order of The Golden Heart (CGH) award for meeting his accomplishment.
"Because we now know that no man is limited, Eliud Kipchoge deserves a CGH, the highest medal Kenya reserves for its finest sons and daughters," he wrote.
Itumbi's suggestion did not go well with a lot of Kenyans, who asked him to shun from putting Kipchoge in the same category as githeriman.
"Please, don't reduce our superhero to the level of those awards, which frankly, totally lost meaning when your like, githeriman and Alai were awarded HSC," a Twitter user commented.
"Kipchoge is beyond Kenyan medals, those are only reserved for githerimen. We just need a public holiday in his name," Chiri weighed in.
"Please spare this great man Eliud Kipchoge from that useless CGH that was awarded to the likes of githeriman and his team Oletumbi. Let him be," Monique wrote.
"This one is already soiled. Look for another one. He ain't in the same league with githeriman and your girlfriend Jackie," Fatuma commented.
During the 54th Jamhuri Day celebrations, on December 12, 2017, the president awarded a couple of people including blogger, Robert Alai, former Citizen TV news anchor Jacque Maribe and Martin Kamotho, alias githeriman.
Below are a number of comments;
- costly outing1 June 2020 - 3:48 pm
- congratulations1 June 2020 - 3:43 pm
- Almost normal1 June 2020 - 2:54 pm
- past lessons1 June 2020 - 2:32 pm
- extra-judicial1 June 2020 - 2:08 pm
- Score card1 June 2020 - 1:50 pm
- here's Why1 June 2020 - 1:06 pm
- Spotted1 June 2020 - 12:09 pm
- in person1 June 2020 - 12:04 pm
- Punishment1 June 2020 - 11:37 am
- Anticipations1 June 2020 - 11:38 am
- still got it1 June 2020 - 11:21 am