An early morning multi-car crash on Thika Road outbound at Muthaiga involving 4 buses, brought traffic to a standstill along the busy highway
Early reports stated that the October 17, freak accident may have been triggered by overspeeding coupled with the heavy rains that pounded Kenya's capital, Nairobi, at the time.
No casualties were reported, as motorists heading to Thika were advised to use the service lanes to avoid the crashed cars that had blocked off the entire highway.
Four passenger buses and a double cabin pickup were among the cars involved in the accident.
Witnesses claimed that one of the buses lost control during an overtaking manoeuvre, while the other skidded off the wet road and on to the crash barriers leading up to the accident.
The double cabin pickup is then said to have rammed into the already stalled cars due to pure visibility caused by the early morning shower.
The freak accident comes just three days after the Kenya Meteorological Department issued a 'heavy rain warning', urging motorists to be extra cautious while on the road.
"Residents are advised to avoid driving through moving water," read an excerpt of the meteorological department's statement.
A motorist managed to capture a short clip of the accident scene:
- ray of hope14 July 2020 - 1:20 pm
- Research14 July 2020 - 1:20 pm
- going big14 July 2020 - 1:04 pm
- at risk14 July 2020 - 12:44 pm
- opportunities14 July 2020 - 12:28 pm
- transformation14 July 2020 - 12:31 pm
- Hitting Back14 July 2020 - 12:01 pm
- Another One14 July 2020 - 11:54 am
- up the ladder14 July 2020 - 11:28 am
- siliver lining?14 July 2020 - 10:27 am
- Comeback14 July 2020 - 10:36 am
- heartbreaking14 July 2020 - 10:08 am